Nov 24, 2013, 11:47 PM EDT
Ryan Smyth and the Edmonton Oilers seem like they’ve turned thing around in the same three-game span.
Through 14 games, the 37-year-old only had four points. He now has just as many in the last three games, including a goal and two assists against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Nov. 19.
“Maybe it’s more mind over matter, more mental this season. I’ve had the opportunity to play with [David] Perron and [Boyd] Gordon and they play to my strengths, which are on the wall. I’ve always been able to think the game pretty well, which helps, but I’m also healthy. I still want to be an asset,” Smyth said. “There is some creativity with our line and I’m helping out down low. I really hoped to play with Perron because he’s a mucker, a give and go type player, and we get a lot of puck-possession with Gordon.”
Then again, maybe it boils down to Perron. He’s scored six points (four goals, two assists) in that same three-game span while the Oilers generated a 14-3 goal differential during that streak.
Smyth is in a contract year, so he has plenty of motivation to continue that strong play. If that boils down to finding a way to stick on Perron’s line, then so be it.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 44
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)