Nov 24, 2013, 11:47 PM EST
Ryan Smyth and the Edmonton Oilers seem like they’ve turned thing around in the same three-game span.
Through 14 games, the 37-year-old only had four points. He now has just as many in the last three games, including a goal and two assists against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Nov. 19.
“Maybe it’s more mind over matter, more mental this season. I’ve had the opportunity to play with [David] Perron and [Boyd] Gordon and they play to my strengths, which are on the wall. I’ve always been able to think the game pretty well, which helps, but I’m also healthy. I still want to be an asset,” Smyth said. “There is some creativity with our line and I’m helping out down low. I really hoped to play with Perron because he’s a mucker, a give and go type player, and we get a lot of puck-possession with Gordon.”
Then again, maybe it boils down to Perron. He’s scored six points (four goals, two assists) in that same three-game span while the Oilers generated a 14-3 goal differential during that streak.
Smyth is in a contract year, so he has plenty of motivation to continue that strong play. If that boils down to finding a way to stick on Perron’s line, then so be it.
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 4
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 3
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)