Nov 24, 2013, 11:47 PM EDT
Ryan Smyth and the Edmonton Oilers seem like they’ve turned thing around in the same three-game span.
Through 14 games, the 37-year-old only had four points. He now has just as many in the last three games, including a goal and two assists against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Nov. 19.
“Maybe it’s more mind over matter, more mental this season. I’ve had the opportunity to play with [David] Perron and [Boyd] Gordon and they play to my strengths, which are on the wall. I’ve always been able to think the game pretty well, which helps, but I’m also healthy. I still want to be an asset,” Smyth said. “There is some creativity with our line and I’m helping out down low. I really hoped to play with Perron because he’s a mucker, a give and go type player, and we get a lot of puck-possession with Gordon.”
Then again, maybe it boils down to Perron. He’s scored six points (four goals, two assists) in that same three-game span while the Oilers generated a 14-3 goal differential during that streak.
Smyth is in a contract year, so he has plenty of motivation to continue that strong play. If that boils down to finding a way to stick on Perron’s line, then so be it.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)