Nov 24, 2013, 11:47 PM EST
Ryan Smyth and the Edmonton Oilers seem like they’ve turned thing around in the same three-game span.
Through 14 games, the 37-year-old only had four points. He now has just as many in the last three games, including a goal and two assists against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Nov. 19.
“Maybe it’s more mind over matter, more mental this season. I’ve had the opportunity to play with [David] Perron and [Boyd] Gordon and they play to my strengths, which are on the wall. I’ve always been able to think the game pretty well, which helps, but I’m also healthy. I still want to be an asset,” Smyth said. “There is some creativity with our line and I’m helping out down low. I really hoped to play with Perron because he’s a mucker, a give and go type player, and we get a lot of puck-possession with Gordon.”
Then again, maybe it boils down to Perron. He’s scored six points (four goals, two assists) in that same three-game span while the Oilers generated a 14-3 goal differential during that streak.
Smyth is in a contract year, so he has plenty of motivation to continue that strong play. If that boils down to finding a way to stick on Perron’s line, then so be it.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)