Nov 24, 2013, 5:41 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres wore their “turd burger” third jerseys for the first of what’s planned to be 10 appearances in 2013-14 on Sunday against the Detroit Red Wings. As expected, the reactions were almost as uniformly negative as Buffalo’s uniform is not exactly … uniform.
Gathering the reactions from every corner of the Internet might get a little tedious, so here’s a few of the highlights.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington evokes Charles Barkley’s unique pronunciation and the “turd burger” meme for quite an effect:
— Mike Harrington (@BNHarrington) November 24, 2013
(Harrington also notes that the team is incorporating the gold into scoreboard displays and other productions today.)
Harrington’s Buffalo News colleague John Vogl feels like the team almost as dual personalities:
It’s like there’s three teams on the ice. Detroit, blue Sabres and gold Sabres. Depends on which way Buffalo is skating.
— John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) November 24, 2013
For Red Wings-focused blogger George Malik of Kukla’s Korner, those who defend the jersey might be showing their love for the Sabres more than their aesthetic tastes:
So the Sabres “new third jersey” proves that love is blind and some people are color-blind.
— George Malik (@georgemalik) November 24, 2013
New #Sabres third jersey: just as horrible in person as it is in the pictures.
— Dennis (@dpol27) November 24, 2013
If you want to know a little more about the “process” behind those much-maligned duds, the Olean Times Herald passes along some interesting nuggets, including the fact that Reebok designed a special font for the third jerseys.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)