Nov 24, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres wore their “turd burger” third jerseys for the first of what’s planned to be 10 appearances in 2013-14 on Sunday against the Detroit Red Wings. As expected, the reactions were almost as uniformly negative as Buffalo’s uniform is not exactly … uniform.
Gathering the reactions from every corner of the Internet might get a little tedious, so here’s a few of the highlights.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington evokes Charles Barkley’s unique pronunciation and the “turd burger” meme for quite an effect:
— Mike Harrington (@BNHarrington) November 24, 2013
(Harrington also notes that the team is incorporating the gold into scoreboard displays and other productions today.)
Harrington’s Buffalo News colleague John Vogl feels like the team almost as dual personalities:
It’s like there’s three teams on the ice. Detroit, blue Sabres and gold Sabres. Depends on which way Buffalo is skating.
— John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) November 24, 2013
For Red Wings-focused blogger George Malik of Kukla’s Korner, those who defend the jersey might be showing their love for the Sabres more than their aesthetic tastes:
So the Sabres “new third jersey” proves that love is blind and some people are color-blind.
— George Malik (@georgemalik) November 24, 2013
New #Sabres third jersey: just as horrible in person as it is in the pictures.
— Dennis (@dpol27) November 24, 2013
If you want to know a little more about the “process” behind those much-maligned duds, the Olean Times Herald passes along some interesting nuggets, including the fact that Reebok designed a special font for the third jerseys.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)