Nov 24, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres wore their “turd burger” third jerseys for the first of what’s planned to be 10 appearances in 2013-14 on Sunday against the Detroit Red Wings. As expected, the reactions were almost as uniformly negative as Buffalo’s uniform is not exactly … uniform.
Gathering the reactions from every corner of the Internet might get a little tedious, so here’s a few of the highlights.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington evokes Charles Barkley’s unique pronunciation and the “turd burger” meme for quite an effect:
— Mike Harrington (@BNHarrington) November 24, 2013
(Harrington also notes that the team is incorporating the gold into scoreboard displays and other productions today.)
Harrington’s Buffalo News colleague John Vogl feels like the team almost as dual personalities:
It’s like there’s three teams on the ice. Detroit, blue Sabres and gold Sabres. Depends on which way Buffalo is skating.
— John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) November 24, 2013
For Red Wings-focused blogger George Malik of Kukla’s Korner, those who defend the jersey might be showing their love for the Sabres more than their aesthetic tastes:
So the Sabres “new third jersey” proves that love is blind and some people are color-blind.
— George Malik (@georgemalik) November 24, 2013
New #Sabres third jersey: just as horrible in person as it is in the pictures.
— Dennis (@dpol27) November 24, 2013
If you want to know a little more about the “process” behind those much-maligned duds, the Olean Times Herald passes along some interesting nuggets, including the fact that Reebok designed a special font for the third jerseys.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)