Nov 24, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres wore their “turd burger” third jerseys for the first of what’s planned to be 10 appearances in 2013-14 on Sunday against the Detroit Red Wings. As expected, the reactions were almost as uniformly negative as Buffalo’s uniform is not exactly … uniform.
Gathering the reactions from every corner of the Internet might get a little tedious, so here’s a few of the highlights.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington evokes Charles Barkley’s unique pronunciation and the “turd burger” meme for quite an effect:
— Mike Harrington (@BNHarrington) November 24, 2013
(Harrington also notes that the team is incorporating the gold into scoreboard displays and other productions today.)
Harrington’s Buffalo News colleague John Vogl feels like the team almost as dual personalities:
It’s like there’s three teams on the ice. Detroit, blue Sabres and gold Sabres. Depends on which way Buffalo is skating.
— John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) November 24, 2013
For Red Wings-focused blogger George Malik of Kukla’s Korner, those who defend the jersey might be showing their love for the Sabres more than their aesthetic tastes:
So the Sabres “new third jersey” proves that love is blind and some people are color-blind.
— George Malik (@georgemalik) November 24, 2013
New #Sabres third jersey: just as horrible in person as it is in the pictures.
— Dennis (@dpol27) November 24, 2013
If you want to know a little more about the “process” behind those much-maligned duds, the Olean Times Herald passes along some interesting nuggets, including the fact that Reebok designed a special font for the third jerseys.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 0
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 5
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 14
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 34
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)