Nov 24, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres wore their “turd burger” third jerseys for the first of what’s planned to be 10 appearances in 2013-14 on Sunday against the Detroit Red Wings. As expected, the reactions were almost as uniformly negative as Buffalo’s uniform is not exactly … uniform.
Gathering the reactions from every corner of the Internet might get a little tedious, so here’s a few of the highlights.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington evokes Charles Barkley’s unique pronunciation and the “turd burger” meme for quite an effect:
— Mike Harrington (@BNHarrington) November 24, 2013
(Harrington also notes that the team is incorporating the gold into scoreboard displays and other productions today.)
Harrington’s Buffalo News colleague John Vogl feels like the team almost as dual personalities:
It’s like there’s three teams on the ice. Detroit, blue Sabres and gold Sabres. Depends on which way Buffalo is skating.
— John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) November 24, 2013
For Red Wings-focused blogger George Malik of Kukla’s Korner, those who defend the jersey might be showing their love for the Sabres more than their aesthetic tastes:
So the Sabres “new third jersey” proves that love is blind and some people are color-blind.
— George Malik (@georgemalik) November 24, 2013
New #Sabres third jersey: just as horrible in person as it is in the pictures.
— Dennis (@dpol27) November 24, 2013
If you want to know a little more about the “process” behind those much-maligned duds, the Olean Times Herald passes along some interesting nuggets, including the fact that Reebok designed a special font for the third jerseys.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)