Nov 24, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Kyle Okposo isn’t a lock to make Team USA, but it wouldn’t be shocking if he ends up suiting up in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
While he’s never recorded more than 52 points in a single season, the 25-year-old forward already has six goals and 22 points in 24 games with the New York Islanders this season. That hasn’t gone unnoticed.
“Kyle’s had a very good start to this season and that’s something he’s not necessarily known for,” Team USA head coach Dan Bylsma told Newsday. “So he’s put himself in that group we’re paying attention to.”
Bylsma added that, including Okposo, there about “six or seven” forwards that the national team will keep a close eye on in the coming weeks. The squad’s 25-man roster has to be finalized by the end of the year and will be announced during the Winter Classic.
Okposo stressed that he’s focusing on the Islanders, which have been struggling lately, but he’s definitely interested in going to Sochi.
“It would mean a lot. A lot,” he said. “Aside from winning a Stanley Cup, winning a gold medal for your country is about as great an accomplishment as you can have in this game.”
Mar 6, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
He should provide commentary to as many Vancouver game as possible.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 PM EST
Jhonas Enroth is making the most of his opportunity, to say the least.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
This one looks painful.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:06 PM EST
Boston shut them out 3-0 on Thursday.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
Plenty of talent on the ice for this late one.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:48 PM EST
It’s unclear how severe the injury is.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:34 PM EST
Ugly start for Vancouver vs. Dallas.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
No one will wear No. 5 in Detroit again.
Mar 6, 2014, 7:56 PM EST
Injuries make him a key player instantly with Red Wings.
Mar 6, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
No denying whose team it is now, anyway.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:27 PM EST
He’s expected to line up with Tomas Plekanec and Alex Galchenyuk.
Mar 6, 2014, 5:28 PM EST
Mar 6, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
George McPhee “likes” this.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
He’s eligible for the Hockey Hall of Fame this year too.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
High hopes in St. Louis with Ryan Miller between the pipes.
Mar 6, 2014, 3:52 PM EST
All the latest from around the crease…
Mar 6, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
Signed through 2016-17 with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
Mar 6, 2014, 2:38 PM EST
Should be an interesting goalie competition down the stretch.
Mar 6, 2014, 1:56 PM EST
He’ll miss the final two games of their Western swing.
Mar 6, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Kings take on the Jets in Winnipeg tonight.
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 0
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 0
- Alzner on Washington’s woes: ‘The killer instinct isn’t there right now’ 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)