Nov 24, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Kyle Okposo isn’t a lock to make Team USA, but it wouldn’t be shocking if he ends up suiting up in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
While he’s never recorded more than 52 points in a single season, the 25-year-old forward already has six goals and 22 points in 24 games with the New York Islanders this season. That hasn’t gone unnoticed.
“Kyle’s had a very good start to this season and that’s something he’s not necessarily known for,” Team USA head coach Dan Bylsma told Newsday. “So he’s put himself in that group we’re paying attention to.”
Bylsma added that, including Okposo, there about “six or seven” forwards that the national team will keep a close eye on in the coming weeks. The squad’s 25-man roster has to be finalized by the end of the year and will be announced during the Winter Classic.
Okposo stressed that he’s focusing on the Islanders, which have been struggling lately, but he’s definitely interested in going to Sochi.
“It would mean a lot. A lot,” he said. “Aside from winning a Stanley Cup, winning a gold medal for your country is about as great an accomplishment as you can have in this game.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)