Nov 24, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Kyle Okposo isn’t a lock to make Team USA, but it wouldn’t be shocking if he ends up suiting up in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
While he’s never recorded more than 52 points in a single season, the 25-year-old forward already has six goals and 22 points in 24 games with the New York Islanders this season. That hasn’t gone unnoticed.
“Kyle’s had a very good start to this season and that’s something he’s not necessarily known for,” Team USA head coach Dan Bylsma told Newsday. “So he’s put himself in that group we’re paying attention to.”
Bylsma added that, including Okposo, there about “six or seven” forwards that the national team will keep a close eye on in the coming weeks. The squad’s 25-man roster has to be finalized by the end of the year and will be announced during the Winter Classic.
Okposo stressed that he’s focusing on the Islanders, which have been struggling lately, but he’s definitely interested in going to Sochi.
“It would mean a lot. A lot,” he said. “Aside from winning a Stanley Cup, winning a gold medal for your country is about as great an accomplishment as you can have in this game.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)