Nov 24, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Kyle Okposo isn’t a lock to make Team USA, but it wouldn’t be shocking if he ends up suiting up in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
While he’s never recorded more than 52 points in a single season, the 25-year-old forward already has six goals and 22 points in 24 games with the New York Islanders this season. That hasn’t gone unnoticed.
“Kyle’s had a very good start to this season and that’s something he’s not necessarily known for,” Team USA head coach Dan Bylsma told Newsday. “So he’s put himself in that group we’re paying attention to.”
Bylsma added that, including Okposo, there about “six or seven” forwards that the national team will keep a close eye on in the coming weeks. The squad’s 25-man roster has to be finalized by the end of the year and will be announced during the Winter Classic.
Okposo stressed that he’s focusing on the Islanders, which have been struggling lately, but he’s definitely interested in going to Sochi.
“It would mean a lot. A lot,” he said. “Aside from winning a Stanley Cup, winning a gold medal for your country is about as great an accomplishment as you can have in this game.”
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 6
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 11
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 49
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (104)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)