Nov 24, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
If you haven’t heard about New Jersey Devils defenseman Eric Gelinas yet, maybe you should. The 22-year-old has just 15 games worth of NHL experience, but he’s already earning high praise.
Hall of Fame defenseman and former coach Larry Robinson remembers thinking that Gelinas reminded him of Chris Pronger when he saw him in training camp a few years back.
Since then, Gelinas has enjoyed a couple solid seasons in the AHL before getting his big break when the then 1-5-3 Devils summoned him. The 6-foot-4 defenseman has contributed eight points and 24 hits to help New Jersey bounce back with an 8-4-2 stretch.
Those are pretty good numbers for a rookie defenseman, but if anything, Robinson thinks that he can do better.
“I think he probably just lacks some confidence. The more he plays the more confidence he’s going to get,” Robinson told the Star-Ledger. “He could always pass and shoot the puck. He’s got a rocket. That’s kind of the way it is when you’re a rookie. You don’t always use all your tools.”
For his part, Gelinas is flattered by the praise, but emphasized that he still has a lot to learn. He also noted that Pronger “was a little more mean” than he is, although he’s interested in being more physical.
He’s been paired up with another promising young defenseman, Adam Larsson, but unlike Gelinas, Larsson has struggled significantly since being selected with the fourth overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Still, the Devils hope that those two blueliners end up being major parts of their organization for years to come.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)