Nov 24, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
It’s fair to say Mikhail Grabovski was upset when the Toronto Maple Leafs decided to buy him out over the summer. In a profanity-filled rant after the news became public, Grabovski called Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle a “[expletive] idiot.”
Months have passed since then and Grabovski has settled in with the Washington Capitals. He’s excelling with his new team and last night he got his first game against the Toronto Maple Leafs behind him.
Even before the contest started though, the 29-year-old forward was looking to put his previous statements behind him.
“Probably done it differently,” Grabovski said, according to the Toronto Sun. “It’s like so emotional, you know, and we all want to win and do for this (team) everything what we can do.
“From that period of time I think the years I spent in Toronto, I try to win (the) Stanley Cup … that whole emotion, probably, feel the same. (Would) I say (it) again? Probably not.”
Toronto earned a 2-1 shootout victory, but not before Grabovski suffered a scare when he fell and was slashed in the face by David Clarkson‘s skate. He needed 20 stitches, but still managed to return, earning the praise of his teammates for his toughness.
With his contest in Toronto out of the way, Grabovski and the Capitals will turn their attention to Wednesday’s match against Ottawa. That will be an important game for Washington after suffering three straight defeats.
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 4
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 2
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 19
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 55
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15
- Bruins have to ‘step up,’ starting tonight in Nashville 45
- Welcome Taylor Hall to the trade rumor mill 53