Nov 24, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
It’s fair to say Mikhail Grabovski was upset when the Toronto Maple Leafs decided to buy him out over the summer. In a profanity-filled rant after the news became public, Grabovski called Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle a “[expletive] idiot.”
Months have passed since then and Grabovski has settled in with the Washington Capitals. He’s excelling with his new team and last night he got his first game against the Toronto Maple Leafs behind him.
Even before the contest started though, the 29-year-old forward was looking to put his previous statements behind him.
“Probably done it differently,” Grabovski said, according to the Toronto Sun. “It’s like so emotional, you know, and we all want to win and do for this (team) everything what we can do.
“From that period of time I think the years I spent in Toronto, I try to win (the) Stanley Cup … that whole emotion, probably, feel the same. (Would) I say (it) again? Probably not.”
Toronto earned a 2-1 shootout victory, but not before Grabovski suffered a scare when he fell and was slashed in the face by David Clarkson‘s skate. He needed 20 stitches, but still managed to return, earning the praise of his teammates for his toughness.
With his contest in Toronto out of the way, Grabovski and the Capitals will turn their attention to Wednesday’s match against Ottawa. That will be an important game for Washington after suffering three straight defeats.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (70)