Nov 24, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
It’s fair to say Mikhail Grabovski was upset when the Toronto Maple Leafs decided to buy him out over the summer. In a profanity-filled rant after the news became public, Grabovski called Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle a “[expletive] idiot.”
Months have passed since then and Grabovski has settled in with the Washington Capitals. He’s excelling with his new team and last night he got his first game against the Toronto Maple Leafs behind him.
Even before the contest started though, the 29-year-old forward was looking to put his previous statements behind him.
“Probably done it differently,” Grabovski said, according to the Toronto Sun. “It’s like so emotional, you know, and we all want to win and do for this (team) everything what we can do.
“From that period of time I think the years I spent in Toronto, I try to win (the) Stanley Cup … that whole emotion, probably, feel the same. (Would) I say (it) again? Probably not.”
Toronto earned a 2-1 shootout victory, but not before Grabovski suffered a scare when he fell and was slashed in the face by David Clarkson‘s skate. He needed 20 stitches, but still managed to return, earning the praise of his teammates for his toughness.
With his contest in Toronto out of the way, Grabovski and the Capitals will turn their attention to Wednesday’s match against Ottawa. That will be an important game for Washington after suffering three straight defeats.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)