Nov 24, 2013, 4:44 PM EST
News and notes from the crease on a light Sunday of action …
Lehner inches in on Anderson?
Craig Anderson may still be considered the No. 1 guy big picture-wise for the Ottawa Senators, yet the team is going with Robin Lehner in back-to-back games after he defeated (and noted the swimming abilities of) the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday.
Lehner has only played in 10 games versus Anderson’s 15, yet he’s just one win behind (4 vs. 5) with a vastly superior .940 to .900 save percentage. Those numbers make it painfully obvious who head coach Paul MacLean should start, but how much leash will Lehner receive?
The Monster remerges
The Detroit Red Wings haven’t won with Jimmy Howard in net since Nov. 1. It’s not fair to stack all the blame on him, yet it’s surprising how infrequently they’ve turned to Jonas Gustavsson. “The Monster” will face the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday after Howard lost again on Saturday (while Gustavsson ended their seven-game streak on Thursday).
Could the big Swede start to get a better look if he tops the Sabres?
Speaking of which, all signs point to Ryan Miller in net. We’ll keep an eye out for last-minute changes, however.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)