Nov 24, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
News and notes from the crease on a light Sunday of action …
Lehner inches in on Anderson?
Craig Anderson may still be considered the No. 1 guy big picture-wise for the Ottawa Senators, yet the team is going with Robin Lehner in back-to-back games after he defeated (and noted the swimming abilities of) the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday.
Lehner has only played in 10 games versus Anderson’s 15, yet he’s just one win behind (4 vs. 5) with a vastly superior .940 to .900 save percentage. Those numbers make it painfully obvious who head coach Paul MacLean should start, but how much leash will Lehner receive?
The Monster remerges
The Detroit Red Wings haven’t won with Jimmy Howard in net since Nov. 1. It’s not fair to stack all the blame on him, yet it’s surprising how infrequently they’ve turned to Jonas Gustavsson. “The Monster” will face the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday after Howard lost again on Saturday (while Gustavsson ended their seven-game streak on Thursday).
Could the big Swede start to get a better look if he tops the Sabres?
Speaking of which, all signs point to Ryan Miller in net. We’ll keep an eye out for last-minute changes, however.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)