Nov 24, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
News and notes from the crease on a light Sunday of action …
Lehner inches in on Anderson?
Craig Anderson may still be considered the No. 1 guy big picture-wise for the Ottawa Senators, yet the team is going with Robin Lehner in back-to-back games after he defeated (and noted the swimming abilities of) the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday.
Lehner has only played in 10 games versus Anderson’s 15, yet he’s just one win behind (4 vs. 5) with a vastly superior .940 to .900 save percentage. Those numbers make it painfully obvious who head coach Paul MacLean should start, but how much leash will Lehner receive?
The Monster remerges
The Detroit Red Wings haven’t won with Jimmy Howard in net since Nov. 1. It’s not fair to stack all the blame on him, yet it’s surprising how infrequently they’ve turned to Jonas Gustavsson. “The Monster” will face the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday after Howard lost again on Saturday (while Gustavsson ended their seven-game streak on Thursday).
Could the big Swede start to get a better look if he tops the Sabres?
Speaking of which, all signs point to Ryan Miller in net. We’ll keep an eye out for last-minute changes, however.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 28
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 51
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 41
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)