Nov 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Going into Friday’s game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and Anaheim Ducks, only one thing was guaranteed: One of these squads would end their losing streak.
It looked like the scoreless game would be decided by a shootout, but Ryan Getzlaf took advantage of a turnover in his own zone with mere seconds remaining in the overtime period.
Without any friendly faces to aide him and the Lightning closing in as he carried the puck across the ice, Getzlaf took a shot while continuing to race towards the net. Bishop stopped the initial attempt, but Getzlaf collected his own rebound and just barely cleared the Lightning goaltender with his second attempt.
You can watch that sequence below:
“It’s why the game is great,” Lightning coach Jon Cooper said, according to the team’s website. “Ten seconds left in the game and one team is going on a rush one way and the puck ends up in the net the other way. What comes around goes around at some point that bounce will go our way, just didn’t tonight.”
Getzlaf’s efforts helped Anaheim end their five-game losing streak and improve to 16-6-3 this season.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)