Nov 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Going into Friday’s game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and Anaheim Ducks, only one thing was guaranteed: One of these squads would end their losing streak.
It looked like the scoreless game would be decided by a shootout, but Ryan Getzlaf took advantage of a turnover in his own zone with mere seconds remaining in the overtime period.
Without any friendly faces to aide him and the Lightning closing in as he carried the puck across the ice, Getzlaf took a shot while continuing to race towards the net. Bishop stopped the initial attempt, but Getzlaf collected his own rebound and just barely cleared the Lightning goaltender with his second attempt.
You can watch that sequence below:
“It’s why the game is great,” Lightning coach Jon Cooper said, according to the team’s website. “Ten seconds left in the game and one team is going on a rush one way and the puck ends up in the net the other way. What comes around goes around at some point that bounce will go our way, just didn’t tonight.”
Getzlaf’s efforts helped Anaheim end their five-game losing streak and improve to 16-6-3 this season.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)