Nov 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Going into Friday’s game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and Anaheim Ducks, only one thing was guaranteed: One of these squads would end their losing streak.
It looked like the scoreless game would be decided by a shootout, but Ryan Getzlaf took advantage of a turnover in his own zone with mere seconds remaining in the overtime period.
Without any friendly faces to aide him and the Lightning closing in as he carried the puck across the ice, Getzlaf took a shot while continuing to race towards the net. Bishop stopped the initial attempt, but Getzlaf collected his own rebound and just barely cleared the Lightning goaltender with his second attempt.
You can watch that sequence below:
“It’s why the game is great,” Lightning coach Jon Cooper said, according to the team’s website. “Ten seconds left in the game and one team is going on a rush one way and the puck ends up in the net the other way. What comes around goes around at some point that bounce will go our way, just didn’t tonight.”
Getzlaf’s efforts helped Anaheim end their five-game losing streak and improve to 16-6-3 this season.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 19
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)