Nov 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Going into Friday’s game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and Anaheim Ducks, only one thing was guaranteed: One of these squads would end their losing streak.
It looked like the scoreless game would be decided by a shootout, but Ryan Getzlaf took advantage of a turnover in his own zone with mere seconds remaining in the overtime period.
Without any friendly faces to aide him and the Lightning closing in as he carried the puck across the ice, Getzlaf took a shot while continuing to race towards the net. Bishop stopped the initial attempt, but Getzlaf collected his own rebound and just barely cleared the Lightning goaltender with his second attempt.
You can watch that sequence below:
“It’s why the game is great,” Lightning coach Jon Cooper said, according to the team’s website. “Ten seconds left in the game and one team is going on a rush one way and the puck ends up in the net the other way. What comes around goes around at some point that bounce will go our way, just didn’t tonight.”
Getzlaf’s efforts helped Anaheim end their five-game losing streak and improve to 16-6-3 this season.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 1
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 15
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)