Nov 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Going into Friday’s game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and Anaheim Ducks, only one thing was guaranteed: One of these squads would end their losing streak.
It looked like the scoreless game would be decided by a shootout, but Ryan Getzlaf took advantage of a turnover in his own zone with mere seconds remaining in the overtime period.
Without any friendly faces to aide him and the Lightning closing in as he carried the puck across the ice, Getzlaf took a shot while continuing to race towards the net. Bishop stopped the initial attempt, but Getzlaf collected his own rebound and just barely cleared the Lightning goaltender with his second attempt.
You can watch that sequence below:
“It’s why the game is great,” Lightning coach Jon Cooper said, according to the team’s website. “Ten seconds left in the game and one team is going on a rush one way and the puck ends up in the net the other way. What comes around goes around at some point that bounce will go our way, just didn’t tonight.”
Getzlaf’s efforts helped Anaheim end their five-game losing streak and improve to 16-6-3 this season.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)