Nov 23, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
Ray Whitney is missing his fifth consecutive game for the Dallas Stars as they face the St. Louis Blues on Saturday. The good news is that Lindy Ruff said that the 41-year-old should be back soon, but they’re being cautious regarding his groin injury.
“He’s real close, but the smart thing is to wait,” Ruff said.
After scoring at an impressive rate for Dallas last season (29 points in 32 games), the play-making veteran hasn’t been as impressive in 2013-14. Whitney has eight points in 17 games played while primarily lining up with youngsters Cody Eakin and Alex Chiasson.
The Stars have won three of four so far during his hiatus, yet they’d likely welcome his scoring touch. They’ll have to wait at least another game or two, however.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)