Nov 23, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
Ray Whitney is missing his fifth consecutive game for the Dallas Stars as they face the St. Louis Blues on Saturday. The good news is that Lindy Ruff said that the 41-year-old should be back soon, but they’re being cautious regarding his groin injury.
“He’s real close, but the smart thing is to wait,” Ruff said.
After scoring at an impressive rate for Dallas last season (29 points in 32 games), the play-making veteran hasn’t been as impressive in 2013-14. Whitney has eight points in 17 games played while primarily lining up with youngsters Cody Eakin and Alex Chiasson.
The Stars have won three of four so far during his hiatus, yet they’d likely welcome his scoring touch. They’ll have to wait at least another game or two, however.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)