Nov 23, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
Ray Whitney is missing his fifth consecutive game for the Dallas Stars as they face the St. Louis Blues on Saturday. The good news is that Lindy Ruff said that the 41-year-old should be back soon, but they’re being cautious regarding his groin injury.
“He’s real close, but the smart thing is to wait,” Ruff said.
After scoring at an impressive rate for Dallas last season (29 points in 32 games), the play-making veteran hasn’t been as impressive in 2013-14. Whitney has eight points in 17 games played while primarily lining up with youngsters Cody Eakin and Alex Chiasson.
The Stars have won three of four so far during his hiatus, yet they’d likely welcome his scoring touch. They’ll have to wait at least another game or two, however.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 0
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 18
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)