Nov 23, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
The New York Times reports that United States Olympic team GM David Poile confirmed that he’s identified six candidates to play in the 2014 Winter Olympics: Ben Bishop, Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller, Jonathan Quick, Cory Schneider and Tim Thomas.
Poile said that the American hockey brass are “absolutely” working toward the trio that will take up the three roster spots, but it doesn’t appear that much is set in stone.
“I have an order today, but it might not be the final order,” Poile said. “It’s an ongoing situation. There’s no way we’re going to make the decision until Christmastime, and we’ve got a week after that.”
The Nashville Predators GM said that they look at stats “from save percentage to goal against, wins and losses,” but also consider a combination of a goalie’s entire body of work and current play.
So, basically, they look at everything that one would expect someone to consider when assessing Olympic goaltenders.
It could be an interesting race to watch. Who would be your No. 1 and who would make it to your top three?
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)