Nov 23, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
The New York Times reports that United States Olympic team GM David Poile confirmed that he’s identified six candidates to play in the 2014 Winter Olympics: Ben Bishop, Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller, Jonathan Quick, Cory Schneider and Tim Thomas.
Poile said that the American hockey brass are “absolutely” working toward the trio that will take up the three roster spots, but it doesn’t appear that much is set in stone.
“I have an order today, but it might not be the final order,” Poile said. “It’s an ongoing situation. There’s no way we’re going to make the decision until Christmastime, and we’ve got a week after that.”
The Nashville Predators GM said that they look at stats “from save percentage to goal against, wins and losses,” but also consider a combination of a goalie’s entire body of work and current play.
So, basically, they look at everything that one would expect someone to consider when assessing Olympic goaltenders.
It could be an interesting race to watch. Who would be your No. 1 and who would make it to your top three?
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)