Nov 23, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
The New York Times reports that United States Olympic team GM David Poile confirmed that he’s identified six candidates to play in the 2014 Winter Olympics: Ben Bishop, Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller, Jonathan Quick, Cory Schneider and Tim Thomas.
Poile said that the American hockey brass are “absolutely” working toward the trio that will take up the three roster spots, but it doesn’t appear that much is set in stone.
“I have an order today, but it might not be the final order,” Poile said. “It’s an ongoing situation. There’s no way we’re going to make the decision until Christmastime, and we’ve got a week after that.”
The Nashville Predators GM said that they look at stats “from save percentage to goal against, wins and losses,” but also consider a combination of a goalie’s entire body of work and current play.
So, basically, they look at everything that one would expect someone to consider when assessing Olympic goaltenders.
It could be an interesting race to watch. Who would be your No. 1 and who would make it to your top three?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)