Nov 23, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
James Reimer carried the Toronto Maple Leafs to a 2-1 shootout win against the Washington Capitals on Saturday, stopping 49 out of 50 shots.
As TSN’s Jonas Siegel points out, tonight’s game bumps Reimer’s save percentage to .947 on the season, which leads the NHL at the moment. The 25-year-old is now 6-2-0 on the season, as he’s in the midst of an intriguing contract year.
Alex Ovechkin was the only Capitals player who could find the net, scoring his 20th goal of 2013-14 while firing six shots on Reimer. The 28-year-old has been the only Washington skater able to score a goal in the last three games – he had one tonight, two in the Caps’ previous game and none as the Caps were shut out on Nov. 20 – so it’s no surprise that the Caps are on a three-game losing streak.
(Hot take: they need more secondary scoring.)
The Maple Leafs have won three of their last four games thanks to brilliant goaltending from Reimer and Jonathan Bernier. Some might say it’s a faulty formula, but the Buds aren’t complaining. Tonight, at least.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)