Nov 23, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
James Reimer carried the Toronto Maple Leafs to a 2-1 shootout win against the Washington Capitals on Saturday, stopping 49 out of 50 shots.
As TSN’s Jonas Siegel points out, tonight’s game bumps Reimer’s save percentage to .947 on the season, which leads the NHL at the moment. The 25-year-old is now 6-2-0 on the season, as he’s in the midst of an intriguing contract year.
Alex Ovechkin was the only Capitals player who could find the net, scoring his 20th goal of 2013-14 while firing six shots on Reimer. The 28-year-old has been the only Washington skater able to score a goal in the last three games – he had one tonight, two in the Caps’ previous game and none as the Caps were shut out on Nov. 20 – so it’s no surprise that the Caps are on a three-game losing streak.
(Hot take: they need more secondary scoring.)
The Maple Leafs have won three of their last four games thanks to brilliant goaltending from Reimer and Jonathan Bernier. Some might say it’s a faulty formula, but the Buds aren’t complaining. Tonight, at least.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 27
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 42
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 65
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)