Nov 23, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
James Reimer carried the Toronto Maple Leafs to a 2-1 shootout win against the Washington Capitals on Saturday, stopping 49 out of 50 shots.
As TSN’s Jonas Siegel points out, tonight’s game bumps Reimer’s save percentage to .947 on the season, which leads the NHL at the moment. The 25-year-old is now 6-2-0 on the season, as he’s in the midst of an intriguing contract year.
Alex Ovechkin was the only Capitals player who could find the net, scoring his 20th goal of 2013-14 while firing six shots on Reimer. The 28-year-old has been the only Washington skater able to score a goal in the last three games – he had one tonight, two in the Caps’ previous game and none as the Caps were shut out on Nov. 20 – so it’s no surprise that the Caps are on a three-game losing streak.
(Hot take: they need more secondary scoring.)
The Maple Leafs have won three of their last four games thanks to brilliant goaltending from Reimer and Jonathan Bernier. Some might say it’s a faulty formula, but the Buds aren’t complaining. Tonight, at least.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 1
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)