Nov 23, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
James Reimer carried the Toronto Maple Leafs to a 2-1 shootout win against the Washington Capitals on Saturday, stopping 49 out of 50 shots.
As TSN’s Jonas Siegel points out, tonight’s game bumps Reimer’s save percentage to .947 on the season, which leads the NHL at the moment. The 25-year-old is now 6-2-0 on the season, as he’s in the midst of an intriguing contract year.
Alex Ovechkin was the only Capitals player who could find the net, scoring his 20th goal of 2013-14 while firing six shots on Reimer. The 28-year-old has been the only Washington skater able to score a goal in the last three games – he had one tonight, two in the Caps’ previous game and none as the Caps were shut out on Nov. 20 – so it’s no surprise that the Caps are on a three-game losing streak.
(Hot take: they need more secondary scoring.)
The Maple Leafs have won three of their last four games thanks to brilliant goaltending from Reimer and Jonathan Bernier. Some might say it’s a faulty formula, but the Buds aren’t complaining. Tonight, at least.
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 20
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 12
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 3
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 25
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)