Nov 23, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild activated goaltender Niklas Backstrom from the injured reserve list today with the intention of easing him back into the lineup after he missed four straight games due to a concussion. That plan fell apart in the minutes leading up to their game against the Winnipeg Jets.
The Wild are in an awkward position now as they sent down 23-year-old goalie Darcy Kuemper earlier in the day.
Backstrom has a 3.30 GAA and .874 save percentage in seven contests this season and this is just his second start in November. He’s also missed time in 2013-14 because of a knee injury.
Minnesota has won five of its last six games, giving them a 14-5-4 record this season.
Update: Kuemper has rejoined the Wild and is now serving as the team’s backup.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7