Nov 23, 2013, 3:16 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild activated goaltender Niklas Backstrom from the injured reserve list today with the intention of easing him back into the lineup after he missed four straight games due to a concussion. That plan fell apart in the minutes leading up to their game against the Winnipeg Jets.
The Wild are in an awkward position now as they sent down 23-year-old goalie Darcy Kuemper earlier in the day.
Backstrom has a 3.30 GAA and .874 save percentage in seven contests this season and this is just his second start in November. He’s also missed time in 2013-14 because of a knee injury.
Minnesota has won five of its last six games, giving them a 14-5-4 record this season.
Update: Kuemper has rejoined the Wild and is now serving as the team’s backup.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)