Nov 23, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues dismantled the Dallas Stars 6-1 on Saturday, giving Ken Hitchcock the 621st regular season coaching win of his career, bumping him to eight all-time ahead of current Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray.
Hitchcock is now 621-385-86 with 88 ties (or 621-385-88-86, if you want to make your brain melt and include ties) in 1,180 games coached.
It’s fitting that Hitchcock moved up the charts against the Stars, the team that gave him his first NHL head coaching gig. You may recall that Hitchcock guided Dallas to its only Stanley Cup victory in 1999 and the Stanley Cup Final in 2000, as well.
If you’re wondering, Hitchcock is second among active NHL coaches with those 621 wins. He might struggle to catch up with Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville, who’s shooting for win 676 tonight. (The ‘Stache recently passed Mike Keenan for fifth all-time.)
In another nod to Stars nostalgia, Brenden Morrow collected an assist against the team he recently captained, which gives him at least one point against every NHL team, according to NHL.com’s Lou Korac. It was also his 250th goal.
This extends the best start in Blues’ franchise history at 16-3-3, so things are pretty golden for St. Louis tonight.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)