Nov 23, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
“He’s playing a similar style. I like to play on the boards. I like to play in the corners. And, he’s got a lot of skill, and he’s shown it,” Jagr said, according to CSN Bay Area.
Jagr also noted that having Hertl play alongside a star like Joe Thornton is giving him an opportunity similar to the one Jagr had with Mario Lemieux in Pittsburgh.
Hertl, who celebrated his 20th birthday on Nov. 12, turned a lot of heads when he scored six goals in his first three NHL games, including a four-goal night against the New York Rangers. Rather than fizzle out after his hot start, Hertl hasn’t gone more than three contests without a point this season. He leads all rookies with 12 goals and 18 points in 22 contests.
Hertl, like Jagr, is a product of the Czech hockey system and made the transition to the NHL straight from the country’s top league. As Jagr noted, moving from European hockey to North American can be tough even for talented players because the NHL forces you to play along the boards and corners more.
“That’s not his problem,” Jagr said. “He was playing that kind of style in Europe, so you knew it was a matter of time he was going to be good in the NHL.”
The two played against each other twice during the lockout, but tonight’s meeting between the Devils and Sharks will be their first NHL match. So what can we expect?
“I’m got to give him a challenge today, that’s for sure,” Jagr said. “I might get my first hit of the season. I’ve got to end my streak, I guess.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)