Nov 23, 2013, 12:55 PM EST
After five seasons with the franchise, Mikhail Grabovski could not have left the Toronto Maple Leafs on much worse terms.
The team decided to buy out his contract and Grabovski responded by delivering a profanity-filled rant against Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle. Grabovski criticized his former bench boss for not giving him enough playing time and called him a “[expletive] idiot.”
He’s actually averaging almost exactly the same amount of ice time with the Washington Capitals as he did in his final season in Toronto, but the results have been different. Through 23 games, the 29-year-old forward has seven goals and 19 points in 23 games.
“I think it’s been a good move for me here,” Grabovski told the Washington Post. “Of course I felt terrible when they buy out my contract, but right now I feel excellent because [the Capitals] give me liberties, so I can play my hockey and my style of hockey. You enjoy to play when people trust you and they give you a chance to play.”
Grabovski will play in Toronto tonight for the first time since the buyout. He’s excited about the game and thinks the fact that the Maple Leafs are his opponents will provide him with some extra motivation.
The Capitals could certainly use that tonight as they look to get back on track after two rough losses to the Pittsburgh Penguins and Montreal Canadiens.
Carlyle, when reminded that Mikhail Grabovski had some unflattering things to say upon his exit, interrupts, "No [expletive]."
— Jonas Siegel (@jonasTSN1050) November 23, 2013
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)