Nov 23, 2013, 12:55 PM EST
After five seasons with the franchise, Mikhail Grabovski could not have left the Toronto Maple Leafs on much worse terms.
The team decided to buy out his contract and Grabovski responded by delivering a profanity-filled rant against Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle. Grabovski criticized his former bench boss for not giving him enough playing time and called him a “[expletive] idiot.”
He’s actually averaging almost exactly the same amount of ice time with the Washington Capitals as he did in his final season in Toronto, but the results have been different. Through 23 games, the 29-year-old forward has seven goals and 19 points in 23 games.
“I think it’s been a good move for me here,” Grabovski told the Washington Post. “Of course I felt terrible when they buy out my contract, but right now I feel excellent because [the Capitals] give me liberties, so I can play my hockey and my style of hockey. You enjoy to play when people trust you and they give you a chance to play.”
Grabovski will play in Toronto tonight for the first time since the buyout. He’s excited about the game and thinks the fact that the Maple Leafs are his opponents will provide him with some extra motivation.
The Capitals could certainly use that tonight as they look to get back on track after two rough losses to the Pittsburgh Penguins and Montreal Canadiens.
Carlyle, when reminded that Mikhail Grabovski had some unflattering things to say upon his exit, interrupts, "No [expletive]."
— Jonas Siegel (@jonasTSN1050) November 23, 2013
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 19
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)