Nov 23, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
This has been a rough campaign for Backstrom, who has also missed time due to a knee injury. Even when he has been healthy, Backstrom has struggled with a 3.30 GAA and .874 save percentage in seven contests.
He entered the season as the Wild’s starter, but Josh Harding has put that into question with his superb play. Harding will still start against Winnipeg while Backstrom will warm the bench.
Backstrom needed to be activated off of the injured reserve list so that he could join the Wild for Saturday’s match. Minnesota has also sent 23-year-old goalie Darcy Kuemper to AHL Iowa.
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 0
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 18
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 3
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 9
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 17
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)