Nov 23, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
This has been a rough campaign for Backstrom, who has also missed time due to a knee injury. Even when he has been healthy, Backstrom has struggled with a 3.30 GAA and .874 save percentage in seven contests.
He entered the season as the Wild’s starter, but Josh Harding has put that into question with his superb play. Harding will still start against Winnipeg while Backstrom will warm the bench.
Backstrom needed to be activated off of the injured reserve list so that he could join the Wild for Saturday’s match. Minnesota has also sent 23-year-old goalie Darcy Kuemper to AHL Iowa.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)