Nov 23, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson‘s groin injury might prevent him from facing his former team, the Ottawa Senators, tonight. That would rob the game of an interesting side story, but at this point the Senators have a much larger concern.
In their first campaign without their former captain, they have been wildly inconsistent. The Senators are currently on a three-game losing streak that’s put them six points out of a playoff spot with a 8-10-4 record.
Amid those struggles, Ottawa has been linked to the trade rumors surrounding New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto. That might not be the only player Senators GM Bryan Murray has his eye on, as he’s been actively exploring the trade market, according to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch.
For now though, Ottawa hasn’t made a move and Murray is throwing his support behind his current core.
“We’ve got a good team. I still think we’re a playoff team. We just need some players to perform better,” Murray told the Ottawa Sun.
Even if they wanted to make a trade, it would be difficult. There are plenty of teams looking for defensemen, so it has the potential to be a seller’s market. On top of that, the Senators reportedly don’t want to increase their payroll.
All the same, if they don’t bounce back, Murray might take action.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)