Nov 23, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson‘s groin injury might prevent him from facing his former team, the Ottawa Senators, tonight. That would rob the game of an interesting side story, but at this point the Senators have a much larger concern.
In their first campaign without their former captain, they have been wildly inconsistent. The Senators are currently on a three-game losing streak that’s put them six points out of a playoff spot with a 8-10-4 record.
Amid those struggles, Ottawa has been linked to the trade rumors surrounding New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto. That might not be the only player Senators GM Bryan Murray has his eye on, as he’s been actively exploring the trade market, according to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch.
For now though, Ottawa hasn’t made a move and Murray is throwing his support behind his current core.
“We’ve got a good team. I still think we’re a playoff team. We just need some players to perform better,” Murray told the Ottawa Sun.
Even if they wanted to make a trade, it would be difficult. There are plenty of teams looking for defensemen, so it has the potential to be a seller’s market. On top of that, the Senators reportedly don’t want to increase their payroll.
All the same, if they don’t bounce back, Murray might take action.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)