Nov 23, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will not face their longtime captain, Daniel Alfredsson, in tonight’s game against the Detroit Red Wings. Instead the 40-year-old forward will miss his sixth straight contest due to a groin injury, according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun.
“They want to make sure it doesn’t become (a long-term issue),” said Alfredsson.
He said he wasn’t targeting this game, but he was hoping to play “given what happened last time.” In his first game against Ottawa, the Senators earned a crushing 6-1 victory.
The Senators are hoping history repeats itself tonight as they fight to end a three-game losing streak and put their season back on track. They are six points out of a playoff spot with a 8-10-4 record.
Barring a setback, Alfredsson should be healthy enough to play in his return to Ottawa on Dec. 1. It will be the Canadian Tire Centre fans’ first chance to cheer or boo him since he signed with Detroit over the summer.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 6
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)