Nov 22, 2013, 11:58 PM EST
Reto Berra‘s first season in the NHL has been quite the whirlwind. After coming over from Switzerland to join the Calgary Flames, he’s now splitting starts with Karri Ramo. Tonight, he learned a tough lesson:
If you’re going to come way out to poke the puck away from a charging opponent, you’d better not miss.
Florida Panthers forward Jimmy Hayes was giving chase to the puck as it entered the Flames zone and Berra beat him to the puck… Only he missed poking it away from Hayes, clearing the way for him to score his first goal as a Florida Panther.
That’s one highlight that won’t go on Berra’s personal favorite list. Making matters worse, that goal made it 3-2 Calgary as the Panthers came back from a 3-1 third period deficit to force overtime.
On the upside for Berra, the Flames beat the Panthers 4-3 in a shootout.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)