Nov 22, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
Reto Berra‘s first season in the NHL has been quite the whirlwind. After coming over from Switzerland to join the Calgary Flames, he’s now splitting starts with Karri Ramo. Tonight, he learned a tough lesson:
If you’re going to come way out to poke the puck away from a charging opponent, you’d better not miss.
Florida Panthers forward Jimmy Hayes was giving chase to the puck as it entered the Flames zone and Berra beat him to the puck… Only he missed poking it away from Hayes, clearing the way for him to score his first goal as a Florida Panther.
That’s one highlight that won’t go on Berra’s personal favorite list. Making matters worse, that goal made it 3-2 Calgary as the Panthers came back from a 3-1 third period deficit to force overtime.
On the upside for Berra, the Flames beat the Panthers 4-3 in a shootout.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40