Nov 22, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
Reto Berra‘s first season in the NHL has been quite the whirlwind. After coming over from Switzerland to join the Calgary Flames, he’s now splitting starts with Karri Ramo. Tonight, he learned a tough lesson:
If you’re going to come way out to poke the puck away from a charging opponent, you’d better not miss.
Florida Panthers forward Jimmy Hayes was giving chase to the puck as it entered the Flames zone and Berra beat him to the puck… Only he missed poking it away from Hayes, clearing the way for him to score his first goal as a Florida Panther.
That’s one highlight that won’t go on Berra’s personal favorite list. Making matters worse, that goal made it 3-2 Calgary as the Panthers came back from a 3-1 third period deficit to force overtime.
On the upside for Berra, the Flames beat the Panthers 4-3 in a shootout.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)