Nov 22, 2013, 3:28 PM EST
Colorado Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov has been formally charged with third-degree assault by the Denver District Attorney.
The charge alleges that Varlamov assaulted his girlfriend at their home on Oct. 30.
The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is apparently two years in county jail.
Varlamov was originally arrested for second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault. The more serious kidnapping charge (a Class 4 Felony), however, was dropped as the DA didn’t feel it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Click here to read the arrest warrant.
Update (4:18 p.m. ET)
Per ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the NHL has released a statement on the situation: “We are aware of the decision made by the Denver District Attorney’s Office today to pursue misdemeanor assault charges against Avalanche player Semyon Varlamov. While we will continue to monitor the situation, we do not expect to take any action or have any further comment pending the resolution of those charges.”
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 2
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 27
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 9
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 35
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)