Nov 22, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
Colorado Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov has been formally charged with third-degree assault by the Denver District Attorney.
The charge alleges that Varlamov assaulted his girlfriend at their home on Oct. 30.
The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is apparently two years in county jail.
Varlamov was originally arrested for second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault. The more serious kidnapping charge (a Class 4 Felony), however, was dropped as the DA didn’t feel it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Click here to read the arrest warrant.
Update (4:18 p.m. ET)
Per ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the NHL has released a statement on the situation: “We are aware of the decision made by the Denver District Attorney’s Office today to pursue misdemeanor assault charges against Avalanche player Semyon Varlamov. While we will continue to monitor the situation, we do not expect to take any action or have any further comment pending the resolution of those charges.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (43)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)