Nov 22, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
Following the Devils’ 2-1 OT win in L.A. on Thursday — in which Schneider was brilliant, stopping 34 of 35 shots — Kings head coach Darryl Sutter praised both Jersey netminders for their outstanding play as of late.
“Tough to score,” Sutter said, as per LA Kings Insider. “They have the best goaltending in the league over there. We just witnessed it last week.”
The last week has been good in terms of New Jersey’s goaltending, but the stretch goes further back than that. it’s actually the No. 1 reason why the Devils have climbed to 9-8-5 on the year and into third in the Metropolitan Division (remember, they were 0-4-3 start the year.)
Brodeur, 41, is a perfect 5-0-0 in his last five games, recording an eye-popping .952 save percentage with two shutouts, prompting Jaromir Jagr to offer up this assessment:
Jagr on Martin Brodeur, who’s won five straight and seven of eight: “Probably the best goalie in the League right now.”
— New Jersey Devils (@NHLDevils) November 21, 2013
Schneider, 27, hasn’t had the same success record-wise (1-2-2) but has been razor sharp with a .935 save percentage over his last five.
Schneider’s only given up three goals over his last three starts and was the first star in Thursday night’s win in L.A., largely because he held the fort over the first two periods, in which the Devils were out-shot 27-5.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer was blunt in his assessment of how much Schneider carried the load.
“I think it’s fair to call that one a goalie win,” he explained. “[Schneider] basically took that one on himself.”
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 1
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 27
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 44
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15