Nov 22, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Following the Devils’ 2-1 OT win in L.A. on Thursday — in which Schneider was brilliant, stopping 34 of 35 shots — Kings head coach Darryl Sutter praised both Jersey netminders for their outstanding play as of late.
“Tough to score,” Sutter said, as per LA Kings Insider. “They have the best goaltending in the league over there. We just witnessed it last week.”
The last week has been good in terms of New Jersey’s goaltending, but the stretch goes further back than that. it’s actually the No. 1 reason why the Devils have climbed to 9-8-5 on the year and into third in the Metropolitan Division (remember, they were 0-4-3 start the year.)
Brodeur, 41, is a perfect 5-0-0 in his last five games, recording an eye-popping .952 save percentage with two shutouts, prompting Jaromir Jagr to offer up this assessment:
Jagr on Martin Brodeur, who’s won five straight and seven of eight: “Probably the best goalie in the League right now.”
— New Jersey Devils (@NHLDevils) November 21, 2013
Schneider, 27, hasn’t had the same success record-wise (1-2-2) but has been razor sharp with a .935 save percentage over his last five.
Schneider’s only given up three goals over his last three starts and was the first star in Thursday night’s win in L.A., largely because he held the fort over the first two periods, in which the Devils were out-shot 27-5.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer was blunt in his assessment of how much Schneider carried the load.
“I think it’s fair to call that one a goalie win,” he explained. “[Schneider] basically took that one on himself.”
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)