Nov 22, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Following the Devils’ 2-1 OT win in L.A. on Thursday — in which Schneider was brilliant, stopping 34 of 35 shots — Kings head coach Darryl Sutter praised both Jersey netminders for their outstanding play as of late.
“Tough to score,” Sutter said, as per LA Kings Insider. “They have the best goaltending in the league over there. We just witnessed it last week.”
The last week has been good in terms of New Jersey’s goaltending, but the stretch goes further back than that. it’s actually the No. 1 reason why the Devils have climbed to 9-8-5 on the year and into third in the Metropolitan Division (remember, they were 0-4-3 start the year.)
Brodeur, 41, is a perfect 5-0-0 in his last five games, recording an eye-popping .952 save percentage with two shutouts, prompting Jaromir Jagr to offer up this assessment:
Jagr on Martin Brodeur, who’s won five straight and seven of eight: “Probably the best goalie in the League right now.”
— New Jersey Devils (@NHLDevils) November 21, 2013
Schneider, 27, hasn’t had the same success record-wise (1-2-2) but has been razor sharp with a .935 save percentage over his last five.
Schneider’s only given up three goals over his last three starts and was the first star in Thursday night’s win in L.A., largely because he held the fort over the first two periods, in which the Devils were out-shot 27-5.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer was blunt in his assessment of how much Schneider carried the load.
“I think it’s fair to call that one a goalie win,” he explained. “[Schneider] basically took that one on himself.”
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)