Nov 22, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Following the Devils’ 2-1 OT win in L.A. on Thursday — in which Schneider was brilliant, stopping 34 of 35 shots — Kings head coach Darryl Sutter praised both Jersey netminders for their outstanding play as of late.
“Tough to score,” Sutter said, as per LA Kings Insider. “They have the best goaltending in the league over there. We just witnessed it last week.”
The last week has been good in terms of New Jersey’s goaltending, but the stretch goes further back than that. it’s actually the No. 1 reason why the Devils have climbed to 9-8-5 on the year and into third in the Metropolitan Division (remember, they were 0-4-3 start the year.)
Brodeur, 41, is a perfect 5-0-0 in his last five games, recording an eye-popping .952 save percentage with two shutouts, prompting Jaromir Jagr to offer up this assessment:
Jagr on Martin Brodeur, who’s won five straight and seven of eight: “Probably the best goalie in the League right now.”
— New Jersey Devils (@NHLDevils) November 21, 2013
Schneider, 27, hasn’t had the same success record-wise (1-2-2) but has been razor sharp with a .935 save percentage over his last five.
Schneider’s only given up three goals over his last three starts and was the first star in Thursday night’s win in L.A., largely because he held the fort over the first two periods, in which the Devils were out-shot 27-5.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer was blunt in his assessment of how much Schneider carried the load.
“I think it’s fair to call that one a goalie win,” he explained. “[Schneider] basically took that one on himself.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)