Nov 22, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Following the Devils’ 2-1 OT win in L.A. on Thursday — in which Schneider was brilliant, stopping 34 of 35 shots — Kings head coach Darryl Sutter praised both Jersey netminders for their outstanding play as of late.
“Tough to score,” Sutter said, as per LA Kings Insider. “They have the best goaltending in the league over there. We just witnessed it last week.”
The last week has been good in terms of New Jersey’s goaltending, but the stretch goes further back than that. it’s actually the No. 1 reason why the Devils have climbed to 9-8-5 on the year and into third in the Metropolitan Division (remember, they were 0-4-3 start the year.)
Brodeur, 41, is a perfect 5-0-0 in his last five games, recording an eye-popping .952 save percentage with two shutouts, prompting Jaromir Jagr to offer up this assessment:
Jagr on Martin Brodeur, who’s won five straight and seven of eight: “Probably the best goalie in the League right now.”
— New Jersey Devils (@NHLDevils) November 21, 2013
Schneider, 27, hasn’t had the same success record-wise (1-2-2) but has been razor sharp with a .935 save percentage over his last five.
Schneider’s only given up three goals over his last three starts and was the first star in Thursday night’s win in L.A., largely because he held the fort over the first two periods, in which the Devils were out-shot 27-5.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer was blunt in his assessment of how much Schneider carried the load.
“I think it’s fair to call that one a goalie win,” he explained. “[Schneider] basically took that one on himself.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)