Nov 22, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
New York Rangers owner James Dolan believes that it’s important to be patient, as he has been with Rangers GM Glen Sather. He thinks that to do otherwise would run the risk of destabilizing things, but obviously teams can’t remain completely static. There has been turnover for various reasons, as was the case when the Rangers fired coach John Tortorella and replace him with Alain Vigneault over the summer.
The jury is still out as to whether the move will ultimately help the Rangers in their goal of winning the Stanley Cup – right now making the playoffs is a challenge – but regardless of what happens, he misses Tortorella.
“I’d visit Torts before a game and we would trade barbs for 10 minutes,” Dolan told the New York Post, “he’d tell me about his [lousy] cable TV service and I’d be sitting there saying, ‘You can’t clear the puck out of your zone, what the hell’s wrong with you?’ and he’d strike back and then play the game and I miss that.
“I’m developing a relationship with Alain [Vigneault] and he’s also a good guy, but Torts and I had a special relationship. It was fun for me. He banned me from the locker room for a while, all in fun. I miss that.”
Dolan noted that the Rangers are starting to adapt to the coaches new strategy and he remains upbeat about the team’s future.
As for Sather, he wants to keep him around until the 70-year-old general manager decides to retire.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)