Nov 22, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
When listing off people ready for a chance to serve as an NHL general manager, Paul Fenton’s name is likely to come up. He’s been with the Nashville Predators since the beginning and is participating in his eighth season as an assistant general manager.
He’s looking to move up though and with Predators GM David Poile not going anywhere, the general manager opening in Buffalo is very tempting.
“I believe that I’m ready,” Fenton told the Tennessean. “I’m hoping somebody else does.”
Poile is supportive of Fenton’s ambitions to the point where he’s reached out to new Sabres president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine. So far though, Fenton hasn’t been approached by Buffalo.
Among Fenton’s more noteworthy accomplishments has been his success as a leader in the Predators’ drafts from 2003-08. In 2003 alone, Nashville selected defensemen Ryan Suter, Kevin Klein, and Shea Weber. The Predators also got some late round gems during that stretch, including goaltender Pekka Rinne (eighth round, 2004) and Patric Hornqvist (seventh round, 2005).
Fenton ascended to his current role after Poile’s previous right-hand man, Ray Shero, took over as the Pittsburgh Penguins’ general manager.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)