Nov 22, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
When listing off people ready for a chance to serve as an NHL general manager, Paul Fenton’s name is likely to come up. He’s been with the Nashville Predators since the beginning and is participating in his eighth season as an assistant general manager.
He’s looking to move up though and with Predators GM David Poile not going anywhere, the general manager opening in Buffalo is very tempting.
“I believe that I’m ready,” Fenton told the Tennessean. “I’m hoping somebody else does.”
Poile is supportive of Fenton’s ambitions to the point where he’s reached out to new Sabres president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine. So far though, Fenton hasn’t been approached by Buffalo.
Among Fenton’s more noteworthy accomplishments has been his success as a leader in the Predators’ drafts from 2003-08. In 2003 alone, Nashville selected defensemen Ryan Suter, Kevin Klein, and Shea Weber. The Predators also got some late round gems during that stretch, including goaltender Pekka Rinne (eighth round, 2004) and Patric Hornqvist (seventh round, 2005).
Fenton ascended to his current role after Poile’s previous right-hand man, Ray Shero, took over as the Pittsburgh Penguins’ general manager.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (74)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)