Nov 22, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
When listing off people ready for a chance to serve as an NHL general manager, Paul Fenton’s name is likely to come up. He’s been with the Nashville Predators since the beginning and is participating in his eighth season as an assistant general manager.
He’s looking to move up though and with Predators GM David Poile not going anywhere, the general manager opening in Buffalo is very tempting.
“I believe that I’m ready,” Fenton told the Tennessean. “I’m hoping somebody else does.”
Poile is supportive of Fenton’s ambitions to the point where he’s reached out to new Sabres president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine. So far though, Fenton hasn’t been approached by Buffalo.
Among Fenton’s more noteworthy accomplishments has been his success as a leader in the Predators’ drafts from 2003-08. In 2003 alone, Nashville selected defensemen Ryan Suter, Kevin Klein, and Shea Weber. The Predators also got some late round gems during that stretch, including goaltender Pekka Rinne (eighth round, 2004) and Patric Hornqvist (seventh round, 2005).
Fenton ascended to his current role after Poile’s previous right-hand man, Ray Shero, took over as the Pittsburgh Penguins’ general manager.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 42
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)