Nov 22, 2013, 2:28 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche won a back-and-forth contest against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday, needing overtime to do so.
Ryan O’Reilly scored on the power play with less than a minute remaining in the extra frame to earn the 4-3 win for Colorado, after the Avalanche coughed up the lead in the third period, fell behind and then had to score late to force overtime.
O’Reilly’s winner came with Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle serving a slashing penalty called in the overtime.
Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal was also called for charging with 28 seconds remaining in the third period. That Colorado power play carried over into the five-minute session, but the Avalanche couldn’t capitalize.
The two late penalties were key discussion points with Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett afterward.
Thursday was a tough night, physically, for some members of the Avalanche.
Benoit returned to the game a short time later, scoring his first goal of the season. He added two assists for a three-point night.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)