Nov 22, 2013, 2:28 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche won a back-and-forth contest against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday, needing overtime to do so.
Ryan O’Reilly scored on the power play with less than a minute remaining in the extra frame to earn the 4-3 win for Colorado, after the Avalanche coughed up the lead in the third period, fell behind and then had to score late to force overtime.
O’Reilly’s winner came with Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle serving a slashing penalty called in the overtime.
Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal was also called for charging with 28 seconds remaining in the third period. That Colorado power play carried over into the five-minute session, but the Avalanche couldn’t capitalize.
The two late penalties were key discussion points with Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett afterward.
Thursday was a tough night, physically, for some members of the Avalanche.
Benoit returned to the game a short time later, scoring his first goal of the season. He added two assists for a three-point night.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)