Nov 22, 2013, 2:28 AM EST
The Colorado Avalanche won a back-and-forth contest against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday, needing overtime to do so.
Ryan O’Reilly scored on the power play with less than a minute remaining in the extra frame to earn the 4-3 win for Colorado, after the Avalanche coughed up the lead in the third period, fell behind and then had to score late to force overtime.
O’Reilly’s winner came with Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle serving a slashing penalty called in the overtime.
Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal was also called for charging with 28 seconds remaining in the third period. That Colorado power play carried over into the five-minute session, but the Avalanche couldn’t capitalize.
The two late penalties were key discussion points with Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett afterward.
Thursday was a tough night, physically, for some members of the Avalanche.
Benoit returned to the game a short time later, scoring his first goal of the season. He added two assists for a three-point night.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 0
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)