Nov 22, 2013, 2:28 AM EST
The Colorado Avalanche won a back-and-forth contest against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday, needing overtime to do so.
Ryan O’Reilly scored on the power play with less than a minute remaining in the extra frame to earn the 4-3 win for Colorado, after the Avalanche coughed up the lead in the third period, fell behind and then had to score late to force overtime.
O’Reilly’s winner came with Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle serving a slashing penalty called in the overtime.
Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal was also called for charging with 28 seconds remaining in the third period. That Colorado power play carried over into the five-minute session, but the Avalanche couldn’t capitalize.
The two late penalties were key discussion points with Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett afterward.
Thursday was a tough night, physically, for some members of the Avalanche.
Benoit returned to the game a short time later, scoring his first goal of the season. He added two assists for a three-point night.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)