Nov 22, 2013, 2:28 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche won a back-and-forth contest against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday, needing overtime to do so.
Ryan O’Reilly scored on the power play with less than a minute remaining in the extra frame to earn the 4-3 win for Colorado, after the Avalanche coughed up the lead in the third period, fell behind and then had to score late to force overtime.
O’Reilly’s winner came with Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle serving a slashing penalty called in the overtime.
Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal was also called for charging with 28 seconds remaining in the third period. That Colorado power play carried over into the five-minute session, but the Avalanche couldn’t capitalize.
The two late penalties were key discussion points with Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett afterward.
Thursday was a tough night, physically, for some members of the Avalanche.
Benoit returned to the game a short time later, scoring his first goal of the season. He added two assists for a three-point night.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5