Nov 22, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for Gustav Nyquist to ensure he’d be a Red Wing for the rest of the season.
“He’s here for the year,” Wings GM Ken Holland told the Detroit News on Friday, the day after Nyquist scored two goals in his season debut, a 4-3 win over Carolina.
Nyquist, 24, was in a bit of a tricky spot prior to Holland’s announcement. When he plays his next game for the Wings, he’ll then require waivers to go back to AHL Grand Rapids — where he’s been stuck all season due to Detroit’s cap crunch at the NHL level.
Considering his talent level (five points in 14 playoff games last year; 21 points in 15 games with Grand Rapids) and his low cap hit ($950,000), Nyquist would be a hot commodity if he hit the wire.
The Wings have some time to figure out their cap situation, as defenseman Danny DeKeyser is on LTIR. That’ll provide the temporary relief to figure out how to keep Nyquist up, though the Wings are in a tight spot having already jettisoned Jordin Tootoo and Patrick Eaves to the Rapids.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)