Nov 22, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
News and notes from the crease…
Pittsburgh to start Zatkoff
Jeff Zatkoff will make his first appearance since Nov. 2, getting the nod in goal for Pittsburgh tonight against the Islanders.
The little-used backup to Marc-Andre Fleury did record a shutout in his last game, a 19-save victory over Columbus, but has been largely inactive and still carries a 3.36 GAA and .865 save percentage on the year.
Neuvirth goes for Caps
Michal Neuvirth will get just his fifth start of the season tonight against Montreal.
The Czech ‘tender hasn’t played since allowing three goals on 35 shots in a 4-3 shootout loss to Phoenix on Nov. 9. All told, Neuvirth has made just six appearances this season and has two wins — one against Calgary in early October, another against Florida on Nov. 2.
– Roberto Luongo goes for Vancouver tonight in the first of a back-to-back (the Canucks host Chicago tomorrow). No word yet on who Columbus will put in goal — Sergei Bobrovsky has carried the load as of late, but backup Curtis McElhinney was stellar in a mid-October win over the Canucks.
– Ben Bishop confirmed for Tampa against Anaheim. No confirmation yet on who the Ducks will have in goal.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)