Nov 22, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
The slumping Calgary Flames have been shaking things up of late — trading away Tim Jackman, acquiring Lane MacDermid — and head coach Bob Hartley kept it going Friday by announcing T.J. Galiardi would be a healthy scratch against Florida.
Galiardi, 25, was acquired from San Jose this summer and immediately signed to a one-year, $1.25 million extension. His time in Calgary started reasonably well — he had three points in his first three games — but he’s hit a wall since then, notching three assists (zero goals) over his last 19 contests.
Hartley has gone the healthy scratch route with other underachieving forwards this season — Sven Baertschi and Mikael Backlund most notably — but the Galiardi scratch is noteworthy because he’s appeared in all 22 games this year while averaging 16:30 TOI.
(What’s more, Galiardi sits second among Flames forwards in hits and leads all with 24 blocked shots.)
According to the Calgary Sun, Galiardi wouldn’t speak to the media after news of his healthy scratch broke. Blair Jones, who was called up from AHL Abbotsford following the Jackman trade, is expected to take Galiardi’s spot in the lineup.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)