Nov 22, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
The slumping Calgary Flames have been shaking things up of late — trading away Tim Jackman, acquiring Lane MacDermid — and head coach Bob Hartley kept it going Friday by announcing T.J. Galiardi would be a healthy scratch against Florida.
Galiardi, 25, was acquired from San Jose this summer and immediately signed to a one-year, $1.25 million extension. His time in Calgary started reasonably well — he had three points in his first three games — but he’s hit a wall since then, notching three assists (zero goals) over his last 19 contests.
Hartley has gone the healthy scratch route with other underachieving forwards this season — Sven Baertschi and Mikael Backlund most notably — but the Galiardi scratch is noteworthy because he’s appeared in all 22 games this year while averaging 16:30 TOI.
(What’s more, Galiardi sits second among Flames forwards in hits and leads all with 24 blocked shots.)
According to the Calgary Sun, Galiardi wouldn’t speak to the media after news of his healthy scratch broke. Blair Jones, who was called up from AHL Abbotsford following the Jackman trade, is expected to take Galiardi’s spot in the lineup.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)