Nov 21, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have managed to dig themselves out of a 1-5-4 early season hole, but it was important for them to maintain their momentum against the tough Anaheim Ducks on Wednesday. Fortunately for them, they caught a break.
With the game tied 3-3 in overtime, Devils forward Travis Zajac attempted to kick the puck to the Ducks’ net in an act of desperation and goaltender Jonas Hiller was able to stop it. However, Ducks defenseman Ben Lovejoy‘s subsequent clearing attempt bounced off teammates Corey Perry and resulted in the deciding goal.
You can see the goal, which was credited to Zajac, below:
“That was one of the luckiest goals I’ve ever scored, but I’ll take those any day of the week,” Zajac said, according to NHL.com.
The Devils are now 8-8-5, which would be good enough for a playoffs spot if the season ended today. Anaheim has now come short of a win in five straight games to drop to 15-6-3, but they still have more points than any other NHL team.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)