Nov 21, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have managed to dig themselves out of a 1-5-4 early season hole, but it was important for them to maintain their momentum against the tough Anaheim Ducks on Wednesday. Fortunately for them, they caught a break.
With the game tied 3-3 in overtime, Devils forward Travis Zajac attempted to kick the puck to the Ducks’ net in an act of desperation and goaltender Jonas Hiller was able to stop it. However, Ducks defenseman Ben Lovejoy‘s subsequent clearing attempt bounced off teammates Corey Perry and resulted in the deciding goal.
You can see the goal, which was credited to Zajac, below:
“That was one of the luckiest goals I’ve ever scored, but I’ll take those any day of the week,” Zajac said, according to NHL.com.
The Devils are now 8-8-5, which would be good enough for a playoffs spot if the season ended today. Anaheim has now come short of a win in five straight games to drop to 15-6-3, but they still have more points than any other NHL team.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8