Nov 21, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov says he’s focused on hockey, not his personal life.
Waiting to hear if he’ll be charged following his arrest on allegations of domestic abuse and kidnapping, Varlamov told the Denver Post on Wednesday he doesn’t think about the issues swirling over his head.
“Believe me, I don’t think about the situation anymore,” the Avs goalie explained. “I have lots of things to do. I have a lot of friends in town, some good Russian friends too.”
Whether it’s related to the arrest or not, Varlamov has struggled since being detained overnight on Oct. 30. His numbers since the arrest — 3-4-0, .912 save percentage, 2.73 GAA — are OK, but way off his stellar opening month statistics, when he went 7-1-0 with a 1.76 GAA and .945 save percentage.
Some of this, obviously, is regressing to the mean. There was little chance Varlamov would run the table with a sub-.200 GAA and a save percentage over .940, and the Avs were bound to come back to earth after starting the season 12-1-0.
But it will be interesting to see how the situation unfolds from here. Varlamov was outstanding in his last start, stopping 36 of 37 shots in a 5-1 win over the defending Cup champion Blackhawks, and his personal issues will come to a head soon as the Denver District Attorney has until Dec. 2 to press charges.
Until then, Varlamov says he’s going to put all his attention into playing hockey.
“My job is not easy,” he said. “I have to stay focused on my job.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)