Nov 21, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
In late September, the Oilers attempted to fill their enforcer void by claiming Steve MacIntyre off waivers from Pittsburgh.
Nearly two months later, Mac is back on the wire.
The Oilers waived MacIntyre on Thursday after the 33-year-old tough guy failed to appear in a single game for the club. It marks the second pugilist Edmonton has jettisoned this season — on Oct. 21, the Oilers sent Mike Brown to San Jose in exchange for a fourth-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Edmonton felt it was key to get tougher following a preseason game against Vancouver, during which Dale Weise took a run at Taylor Hall and Zack Kassian high-sticked Sam Gagner in the face, breaking his jaw.
“After out game against Vancouver we decided there was a need for toughness,” MacTavish said upon claiming MacIntyre off waivers. “I think he’ll make an impact.”
Obviously, that didn’t happen. MacIntyre was a scratch (knee) for two months as the Oilers ended up getting more than enough pugilism out of Luke Gadzic (seven fights this season) and Will Acton (two).
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 44
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 121
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 79
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7