Nov 21, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
In late September, the Oilers attempted to fill their enforcer void by claiming Steve MacIntyre off waivers from Pittsburgh.
Nearly two months later, Mac is back on the wire.
The Oilers waived MacIntyre on Thursday after the 33-year-old tough guy failed to appear in a single game for the club. It marks the second pugilist Edmonton has jettisoned this season — on Oct. 21, the Oilers sent Mike Brown to San Jose in exchange for a fourth-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Edmonton felt it was key to get tougher following a preseason game against Vancouver, during which Dale Weise took a run at Taylor Hall and Zack Kassian high-sticked Sam Gagner in the face, breaking his jaw.
“After out game against Vancouver we decided there was a need for toughness,” MacTavish said upon claiming MacIntyre off waivers. “I think he’ll make an impact.”
Obviously, that didn’t happen. MacIntyre was a scratch (knee) for two months as the Oilers ended up getting more than enough pugilism out of Luke Gadzic (seven fights this season) and Will Acton (two).
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)