Nov 21, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
In late September, the Oilers attempted to fill their enforcer void by claiming Steve MacIntyre off waivers from Pittsburgh.
Nearly two months later, Mac is back on the wire.
The Oilers waived MacIntyre on Thursday after the 33-year-old tough guy failed to appear in a single game for the club. It marks the second pugilist Edmonton has jettisoned this season — on Oct. 21, the Oilers sent Mike Brown to San Jose in exchange for a fourth-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Edmonton felt it was key to get tougher following a preseason game against Vancouver, during which Dale Weise took a run at Taylor Hall and Zack Kassian high-sticked Sam Gagner in the face, breaking his jaw.
“After out game against Vancouver we decided there was a need for toughness,” MacTavish said upon claiming MacIntyre off waivers. “I think he’ll make an impact.”
Obviously, that didn’t happen. MacIntyre was a scratch (knee) for two months as the Oilers ended up getting more than enough pugilism out of Luke Gadzic (seven fights this season) and Will Acton (two).
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)