Nov 21, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
In late September, the Oilers attempted to fill their enforcer void by claiming Steve MacIntyre off waivers from Pittsburgh.
Nearly two months later, Mac is back on the wire.
The Oilers waived MacIntyre on Thursday after the 33-year-old tough guy failed to appear in a single game for the club. It marks the second pugilist Edmonton has jettisoned this season — on Oct. 21, the Oilers sent Mike Brown to San Jose in exchange for a fourth-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Edmonton felt it was key to get tougher following a preseason game against Vancouver, during which Dale Weise took a run at Taylor Hall and Zack Kassian high-sticked Sam Gagner in the face, breaking his jaw.
“After out game against Vancouver we decided there was a need for toughness,” MacTavish said upon claiming MacIntyre off waivers. “I think he’ll make an impact.”
Obviously, that didn’t happen. MacIntyre was a scratch (knee) for two months as the Oilers ended up getting more than enough pugilism out of Luke Gadzic (seven fights this season) and Will Acton (two).
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 21
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)