Nov 21, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist will get a great opportunity to show he belongs in the NHL when he skates on Detroit’s second line tonight versus Carolina at Joe Louis Arena.
Against the Hurricanes, Nyquist — who had 21 points in 15 games for the Griffins but couldn’t be called up due to salary-cap and roster constraints — will play right wing on a line with center Henrik Zetterberg and left wing Johan Franzen. (Daniel Cleary, Pavel Datsyuk, and Todd Bertuzzi will comprise the top line.)
“I’m just going to try to play my game,” Nyquist said, per MLive.com. “We all know that we’re in need of a win here as a team and obviously we’ve lost a few in a row up here and at home as well. So that’s something we want to change tonight.”
Indeed, the Wings could use a win. They haven’t earned one in their last seven games, and they’ve got just three in their last 14.
Also worth mentioning, from MLive.com:
The Red Wings said they will determine after the game whether Nyquist returns to Grand Rapids or stays. Once he plays two more NHL games he will lose his waiver-exempt status. In that case he would be here to stay.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)