Nov 21, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist will get a great opportunity to show he belongs in the NHL when he skates on Detroit’s second line tonight versus Carolina at Joe Louis Arena.
Against the Hurricanes, Nyquist — who had 21 points in 15 games for the Griffins but couldn’t be called up due to salary-cap and roster constraints — will play right wing on a line with center Henrik Zetterberg and left wing Johan Franzen. (Daniel Cleary, Pavel Datsyuk, and Todd Bertuzzi will comprise the top line.)
“I’m just going to try to play my game,” Nyquist said, per MLive.com. “We all know that we’re in need of a win here as a team and obviously we’ve lost a few in a row up here and at home as well. So that’s something we want to change tonight.”
Indeed, the Wings could use a win. They haven’t earned one in their last seven games, and they’ve got just three in their last 14.
Also worth mentioning, from MLive.com:
The Red Wings said they will determine after the game whether Nyquist returns to Grand Rapids or stays. Once he plays two more NHL games he will lose his waiver-exempt status. In that case he would be here to stay.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 0
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 18
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)