Nov 21, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist will get a great opportunity to show he belongs in the NHL when he skates on Detroit’s second line tonight versus Carolina at Joe Louis Arena.
Against the Hurricanes, Nyquist — who had 21 points in 15 games for the Griffins but couldn’t be called up due to salary-cap and roster constraints — will play right wing on a line with center Henrik Zetterberg and left wing Johan Franzen. (Daniel Cleary, Pavel Datsyuk, and Todd Bertuzzi will comprise the top line.)
“I’m just going to try to play my game,” Nyquist said, per MLive.com. “We all know that we’re in need of a win here as a team and obviously we’ve lost a few in a row up here and at home as well. So that’s something we want to change tonight.”
Indeed, the Wings could use a win. They haven’t earned one in their last seven games, and they’ve got just three in their last 14.
Also worth mentioning, from MLive.com:
The Red Wings said they will determine after the game whether Nyquist returns to Grand Rapids or stays. Once he plays two more NHL games he will lose his waiver-exempt status. In that case he would be here to stay.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 41
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (76)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)