Nov 21, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist will get a great opportunity to show he belongs in the NHL when he skates on Detroit’s second line tonight versus Carolina at Joe Louis Arena.
Against the Hurricanes, Nyquist — who had 21 points in 15 games for the Griffins but couldn’t be called up due to salary-cap and roster constraints — will play right wing on a line with center Henrik Zetterberg and left wing Johan Franzen. (Daniel Cleary, Pavel Datsyuk, and Todd Bertuzzi will comprise the top line.)
“I’m just going to try to play my game,” Nyquist said, per MLive.com. “We all know that we’re in need of a win here as a team and obviously we’ve lost a few in a row up here and at home as well. So that’s something we want to change tonight.”
Indeed, the Wings could use a win. They haven’t earned one in their last seven games, and they’ve got just three in their last 14.
Also worth mentioning, from MLive.com:
The Red Wings said they will determine after the game whether Nyquist returns to Grand Rapids or stays. Once he plays two more NHL games he will lose his waiver-exempt status. In that case he would be here to stay.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)