Nov 21, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
It had been a while.
But the Detroit Red Wings finally won on home ice for the first time since Oct. 15, as they held on to defeat the Carolina Hurricanes by a final score of 4-3 on Thursday.
Gustav Nyquist scored twice for Detroit, including 17 seconds into the opening period. He also recorded the winner late in the third period.
It was the slump-buster. Well, for now, anyway.
The Red Wings had fallen under increasing scrutiny for their recent skid.
Not only was this their first win on home ice in nine games, but they had also lost seven games in a row. It got a little close for comfort in the third period, when the Hurricanes pulled to within a goal with 16 seconds remaining in regulation.
“We talked about it going into the third period,” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock said, as per the Detroit Free Press.
“Let’s go play. Let’s not worry about nothing. Let’s play. Worrying is for some other kind of profession. We’ve got to play this game and play hard, and I thought we did that.”
Red Wings defenseman Brian Lashoff left the game after the first period and did not return due to the flu.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)