Nov 21, 2013, 11:56 PM EST
It had been a while.
But the Detroit Red Wings finally won on home ice for the first time since Oct. 15, as they held on to defeat the Carolina Hurricanes by a final score of 4-3 on Thursday.
Gustav Nyquist scored twice for Detroit, including 17 seconds into the opening period. He also recorded the winner late in the third period.
It was the slump-buster. Well, for now, anyway.
The Red Wings had fallen under increasing scrutiny for their recent skid.
Not only was this their first win on home ice in nine games, but they had also lost seven games in a row. It got a little close for comfort in the third period, when the Hurricanes pulled to within a goal with 16 seconds remaining in regulation.
“We talked about it going into the third period,” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock said, as per the Detroit Free Press.
“Let’s go play. Let’s not worry about nothing. Let’s play. Worrying is for some other kind of profession. We’ve got to play this game and play hard, and I thought we did that.”
Red Wings defenseman Brian Lashoff left the game after the first period and did not return due to the flu.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)