Nov 21, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
It had been a while.
But the Detroit Red Wings finally won on home ice for the first time since Oct. 15, as they held on to defeat the Carolina Hurricanes by a final score of 4-3 on Thursday.
Gustav Nyquist scored twice for Detroit, including 17 seconds into the opening period. He also recorded the winner late in the third period.
It was the slump-buster. Well, for now, anyway.
The Red Wings had fallen under increasing scrutiny for their recent skid.
Not only was this their first win on home ice in nine games, but they had also lost seven games in a row. It got a little close for comfort in the third period, when the Hurricanes pulled to within a goal with 16 seconds remaining in regulation.
“We talked about it going into the third period,” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock said, as per the Detroit Free Press.
“Let’s go play. Let’s not worry about nothing. Let’s play. Worrying is for some other kind of profession. We’ve got to play this game and play hard, and I thought we did that.”
Red Wings defenseman Brian Lashoff left the game after the first period and did not return due to the flu.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)