Nov 21, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
It had been a while.
But the Detroit Red Wings finally won on home ice for the first time since Oct. 15, as they held on to defeat the Carolina Hurricanes by a final score of 4-3 on Thursday.
Gustav Nyquist scored twice for Detroit, including 17 seconds into the opening period. He also recorded the winner late in the third period.
It was the slump-buster. Well, for now, anyway.
The Red Wings had fallen under increasing scrutiny for their recent skid.
Not only was this their first win on home ice in nine games, but they had also lost seven games in a row. It got a little close for comfort in the third period, when the Hurricanes pulled to within a goal with 16 seconds remaining in regulation.
“We talked about it going into the third period,” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock said, as per the Detroit Free Press.
“Let’s go play. Let’s not worry about nothing. Let’s play. Worrying is for some other kind of profession. We’ve got to play this game and play hard, and I thought we did that.”
Red Wings defenseman Brian Lashoff left the game after the first period and did not return due to the flu.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)