Nov 21, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
Nobody thought it would be easy. Minus Steven Stamkos, the Tampa Bay Lightning faced a four-game road trip to Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Jose, and Anaheim.
Turns out everyone was right; it hasn’t been easy. The first game of the trip was a loss, 6-3 to the Coyotes. The second was another three-goal defeat, 5-2 to the Kings.
Tonight, after suffering consecutive losses for the first time this season — and with “the high of emotion from Steven going down” having run out, according to head coach Jon Cooper — it’s a visit to the Shark Tank.
“It’s not panic time, it’s just addressing and correcting the mistakes and making sure we stop this,” Lightning captain Marty St. Louis said, per TBO.com. “You don’t want a two-gamer to turn into a four- or five-gamer. Let’s be honest and assess your game, be honest in how you’re playing, and at the end of the day we all have to do more.”
Whoever starts in goal for the Lightning, Ben Bishop or Anders Lindback, will “have to do more” as well. Tampa Bay has received excellent goaltending from Bishop this season; however, his last two outings have been rough ones. He left the game after allowing three goals on 14 shots in Phoenix, and he allowed five goals on 31 shots versus the Kings. Lindback, meanwhile, is 1-4-0 with a low .875 save percentage.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 22
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 10
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)