Nov 21, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
After suffering a head injury that kept him out of the Rangers’ lineup for over a month, Rick Nash has a message for his NHLPA brethren:
“We’re all in this together.”
Translation: Let’s knock it off with the head shots, like the injury-causing one San Jose’s Brad Stuart gave Nash in early October.
“I understand how it happens,” Nash said, per the New York Post. “The game is so fast, things happen quickly, and I know that I’ve had some hits that have been close calls, but we all have to take responsibility for changing some of the things we do out there.
“I understand that we don’t want to have huge suspensions for plays that are spontaneous and I’m OK with that, but the players as a group and the union have to take more responsibility for stopping these kinds of hits.
“It’s up to the guys to have more respect for each other and our careers.”
Stuart was suspended three games for the hit, costing the veteran blue-liner $55,384.62 in forfeited salary. But that didn’t help Nash get back in the lineup any sooner.
“Headshots are a serious problem in the game. You see them all the time,” said Nash.
“Something has to change.”
Related: Bruins beat Rangers in Nash’s return
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)