Nov 21, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Leafs roll with Bernier
Jonathan Bernier will start for the second consecutive game on Thursday as the Leafs take on the Preds in Toronto. Bernier stopped 35 of 37 shots against the Islanders on Tuesday, and that performance was good enough to keep James Reimer bolted to the pine.
It’s worth noting Bernier’s lone shutout this season came against Nashville on Oct. 10.
Speaking of Nashville, the Preds will give rookie Mark Mazanec his fifth straight start tonight. Mazanec’s been very good since taking the No. 1 gig from Carter Hutton, and shut out the Red Wings in Detroit on Tuesday.
Crawford back in for Chicago
After getting yanked in a 5-1 drubbing at the hands of Colorado on Tuesday, Corey Crawford will get a chance to make amends with a start tonight against Winnipeg.
There was some though rookie Antti Raanta would get the nod, but it’s possible the ‘Hawks are going with Crawford given his experience against the Jets — he’s posted a 2-0-0 record vs. Winnipeg this year with a 1.00 GAA and .962 save percentage.
As expected, the Jets will counter with Ondrej Pavelec on Thursday night.
– Jaroslav Halak will be in for the Blues, two nights after stopping 23 of 24 shots in a win over Buffalo. He’ll be up against Tuukka Rask in the Boston goal, and Rask is coming off an even better performance after making 43 saves in a win over the Rangers last time out.
– Top-flight goaltending matchups in Dallas, Phoenix and L.A. tonight. Kari Lehtonen goes for the Stars, taking on Henrik Lundqvist in the Rangers’ net; Semyon Varlamov and Mike Smith will do battle in the desert; Cory Schneider goes up against Ben Scrivens in Hollywood.
– Devan Dubnyk will go for the Oilers tonight, no word yet on who the Panthers will start. It’s even foggier in San Jose, as neither the Bolts or Sharks have announced their starters for this evening.
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 0
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 27
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)