Flyers surging in the East; defeat Sabres

Nov 21, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT

Just another win for the Philadelphia Flyers.

After that slow start to the season, the Flyers have victories in five of their last six games, the latest coming Thursday as they forged a 4-1 win over the Buffalo Sabres.

It was the line of Matt Read, Steve Downie and Sean Couturier that led the way for Philadelphia.

Read scored twice within a span of one minute and 40 seconds, while Downie and Couturier each added a pair of assists.

The night started off so well for the Sabres. Tyler Myers, Buffalo’s towering defenseman who is trying to rediscover the excellent form he had during his rookie season, scored his second goal of the season to give the Sabres a lead after the opening period.

But the Flyers took over form there. Read’s goals were just the beginning. Vincent Lecavalier essentially put this game away in the third period, blasting home a power play goal to put Philadelphia up two goals.

Scott Hartnell scored into an empty net with 11 seconds remaining. Done.

“We have to play a certain way, and if we don’t play that certain way, you just can’t play,” said Sabres’ interim head coach Ted Nolan, as per the team’s Twitter account.

105 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. mcphillthy - Nov 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Thank you, cam! I’ve been waiting to talk some flyers hockey on here! Read, downie, and Couturier looked good together from what I saw. If that line starts lighting it up then this could get exciting!
    Roo isn’t netting them but he keeps setting guys up.
    The trolls will have to go hungry again tonight…

• c9castine - Nov 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM

hahahahahahaha

“flyers are surging; they beat the sabres” that headline is comical.

2. sjsharks66 - Nov 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Flyers surging, beat Sabers. Come on now. They have been playing better but that headline makes me chuckle.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM

What makes me chuckle is your inability to comprehend grammar, their record of late is why the headline is as such, not individually beating the sabres

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM

This is the same guy who said bobby Clarke broke the ankle of a soviet player when we used to play the Russians.
        His name is Mr Googles bc he googles all of his hockey info.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM

What makes me chuckle is your pathetic trolling attempts. Did you chuckle when they embarrassed the Hens last week, or did you chuckle at the fact that this squad has won 11 out of 12 pts in their last 6

3. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM

What does grammar have to do with having a laugh at an article stating the Flyers beat the Sabers? I said they are playing better. It was not a huge jab at the team.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM

No, you chuckled at the fact that the article said the Flyers are surging. Guess what? They are. Take off your Crosby panties for once “San Jose” fan.

• drone501 - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM

looks like the truce between flyer fans and penguin fans is over. flyer fans getting all offended again. you guys all need therapy.

• c9castine - Nov 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM

i have never seen such a bunch of butt hurt little pansies in my life. get control of yourselves.

• wingslax35 - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Try spelling Sabres correct.

4. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Flyers fans are so easy to work up. Take a joke when someone is poking fun. I brought the Clarke incident up for an entirely different reason. Not because I did not know the difference in games. Was just saying that the Flyers had a nasty history along with having skill guys.

Calm down and enjoy your team getting better. It was a matter of time before it happened and anyone who could not see that is blind. Just because I do not like the Flyers does not mean I will not give credit where it is due.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM

You weren’t saying that a few weeks ago, Dbag.

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM

It’s good to see our third line heating up too. Having three lines that can score any given night is going to take us a long way. And this is another game won at 5on5 and we still haven’t given up a goal at even strength.
      Keep it up! Lets go flyers!!

• mehetmet - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM

you guys had 7 power plays….including two separate 5 on 3’s, that spanned over 2 full minutes.

you may have scored 5 on 5, but had the advantage for quite a while.

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM

And that relates to my statement of 5on5 how? Stay on topic, lil guy

5. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Yeah, because you guys were terrible a few weeks ago. You beat the Sabers, congrats. Keyboard warrior flyers fans getting all pumped up because they are getting points. I’m not even trolling, im commenting and making conversation. Calm down.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM

You’re not trolling? That all you ever do is troll Flyers threads. You’re an as$clown of the first order. Yeah we beat the Sabres, and the Pens, Sens x2 Oilers, and a point off the Jets. Thats called a pretty good win streak.

• ibieiniid - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

the PHT Pens fans’ infatuation with the Flyers is ridiculous. EVERY flyers article has 1 or 2 of them “joking.” just stfu and worry about your own team.

• flyerspsu - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

i am amazed how you are unable to understand the “surging” part in the title of the article, they are not surging b/c they beat the sabres, the article didnt say or imply that, nor did any flyers fan that has replied … they are “surging” b/c they are 5-0-1 in the last 6 games, havnt given up an even strength goal in 5 games and the offense is finally clicking

its not hard to understand

6. pitpenguinsrulez - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Michel Briere: A player who was much better than Bobby Clarke…even Clarke admits it himself.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Well, seeing that Briere only played one NHL season before he passed away, this is a non sequitur

7. pitpenguinsrulez - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Yeah Philly has one quality win their past six games which came against us last week. Gee you’ve played the lousy Sens twice, the two cellar dwellers in Buffalo and Edmonton, but you also lost to Winnipeg. Don’t worry Flyer Fans keeping your head up high patting you chest in belief that your actually good. Comeback to me when you’ve played against legit top teams and have a point streak vs those legit teams.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Thanks for clearing up the fact that your crap squad is not a legit top team. BTW we are 8 points behind your brokeback mountain Hens.

• drone501 - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:15 AM

whays going on dude. too much caffeine today.

• thethorntonstrokes - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM

The Penguins are a top team, don’t let the rivalry cloud your judgement.

• phillyphanatic77 - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Aren’t you forgetting someone…. your almighty Pens? The Flyers are beating the teams they’re supposed to beat… isn’t that what good teams do? We cant help how the schedule was made dbag. The Flyers are rolling and western PA is clearly worried so they have to come up with bs excuses.

• drone501 - Nov 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM

gotta admit, we all take our hockey personally

8. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I cant wait for the Flyers to come on a road trip to the west. LA, Anaheim and San Jose. Good point about playing the two worst teams in the league and the decent Sens team twice.

You try to be civil with Flyers fans, cannot happen.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:48 AM

What has San Jose won, ever? Oh that right, nothing. Keep on living vicariously throughout the Hens. it suits your clown like personality.

• delsj - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM

“You try to be civil with Flyers fans, cannot happen.”

You could say that about all east coast teams’ hockey fans. Besides, it doesn’t matter how good your teams in Callie are, no one is ever going to take you seriously.

• mp1131211 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM

This is why you shouldn’t even try. They wonder why they have more trolls than any other team on here. It’s because 1) it’s freaking hilarious to watch them react and 2) it’s useless to actually talk. I admit, maybe it’s a bit cruel, but it’s just down right fun to stoke the fire.

9. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Against 2 of the worst teams in the league and a decent Sens team. If you wan’t me to troll, I will. I was giving you credit and you could not accept that. So I guess we can call you guys out on your weak schedule. You beat a slumping Pens team also. I know how excited you guys get when you beat the Pens. We will see how well you guys “surge” when they come to the West.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Go google some more hockey facts. When was the last time the Sharks won the cup? My search engine isn’t working.

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Aww Mr Googles got called out. Oh snap!
        Look man, if you want to come to talk hockey we welcome you. But don’t come to talk trash. It won’t go well. Plus you’re not even a good troll. You gotta talk to curioustraveler. He can teach you some things. Maybe he will take you under his wing and help you, Mr Googles?!

• phillyphanatic77 - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I love all these absurd excuses from PENS fans (yes, you’re a Pens fan and that’s it)… at the start of the season the Sens were everyones niche Cup pick; it’s not our fault Pittsburgh got Flyers syndrome and stopped scoring, we still beat a top level team. And then we took care of business against the teams we’re supposed to… so somehow that makes our wins less valuable? I thought the good teams were supposed to beat up the bad? And by the way, we started 1-7! And now we’re rolling through teams… Pens fans must be WORRIED bc they’re back to their usual irrational, jacka*s selves.

10. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM

What have the Flyers won in the past 35+ years? Oh yeah, nothing. The Sharks have only been around for 22 years. Your streak of winning nothing is longer than the Sharks have been around.

We also made the playoffs last year. Guess that is more than you can say about the Flyers.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM

S what your saying is you haven’t won Shizz in 22 years. Do you really want to compare playoff appearances clown? Thanks for playing fanboy.

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Congrats on making the playoffs. How’d it work out for you? Wait its san Jose… I know how this story ends already. Lol. Now you know how we feel. And even though its been 35 years the fact is our franchise has some cups. Let us know when you can say that, Googles.

• drone501 - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:18 AM

mcphilthy, i thought you was cool. your getting as bad as the broadstreet beatoff.

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Sorry drone. I just got in one of those moods tonight. I’m good to go now. I’ll behave :)

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Says drone501, one of the top hand jobs on PHT.

11. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Sick comeback with the google comment. Look up the last time the Flyers won the cup when your search engine works again.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Look up the last time your weak team ever made it to the SCF. Here’s a clue, Never.

• mp1131211 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Lol. Dude… Hilarious. This is classic! Thanks for making my morning way better

• drone501 - Nov 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM

hey beatdown. your mom told me the same thing.

12. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM

They also play in a tougher conference. The west playoff series are usually really cut throat, while the east is predictable. Im done for tonight, you have a safe night mr.beatdown. Take care :)

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM

So that means you’ve never won the cup nor played for it? Goodnight Mr. sjsharkspenguinz66.

13. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I don’t come to troll. I come to joke around. It’s when you guys get upset and fire back I start to “troll” with facts.
    Heres another one to end the night. How many goals does G have compared to the Sharks rookie Hertl? Have a good night guys! :)

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Good night Googles!

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM

One less than Malkin. Good night troll.

• bigrboland - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Shouldn’t you be comparing your captain to the Pens captain? Oh wait, there is no comparison. 87 is the best player in the league….by far. Did you see that show he put on against the Caps the other night. Unreal. Your “captain” is a joke!

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I am pretty sure every captain in the NHL is below the level that Crosby is at. Again … You simple minded Crosby cum catchers come in here all the time. Everyone knows Crosby is the best in the league. Nobody denies that. But if that is your only contribution to a hockey conversation please don’t bother commenting, fluffy.

• bigrboland - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM

The OP should compare apples to apples, that’s all I was saying. And you’re “pretty sure” Crosby “Hog Leg” Crosby is the best captain in the league??? I’m positive he is, regardless of what SOME of you Flyers fans (and ex-coaches) think. Typical response from a classless Flyers fan. Resorting to name-calling. Now that you’ve got that out of your system, you can go back to watching the 1975 Stanley Cup Finals on your Betamax.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Nov 22, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Holy crap sjsharks, you made a night out of posting on this blog, you must feel proud to have riled up some flyer fans on here. I’m sure nobody will object when I tell you, you win the internet today, take a bow, sir :)

• mp1131211 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

We should have a weeks PHT award for whoever can get the flyers fans going the most.

14. mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM

So back to hockey… What’s everyone’s opinion on where The flyers are right now? We are doing a lot of little things right lately and it’s paying off. I think they are having fun on the ice again so that’s good to see.
    I like what chief has done here so far. No goals allowed at even strength is nothing short of amazing compared to where we were with lavy in charge. The penalty kill is slacking but I can’t complain about anything lately. The progress has been what we needed to see

• hockey412 - Nov 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Outscored their opponent 22-8 in the last 6 games…it’s hard for me to say but that’s pretty gooo….that’s pretty goooo….that’s pretty good. They kicked in the offense WITHOUT sacrificing defense.

Still a lot of penalties, need to work on that. I will say that I was very impressed with their PK vs. the Pens. A lot of speed, very good kill. But I still think it will come back to haunt them when the games get more serious if they can’t play with a little more discipline.

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Our PK has gone downhill since we traded Talbot. I am not sure it will be that good again for quite a while, either. Talbot was the man on the PK and we don’t have a guy like him now. It sucks but at the same time the team looks much better and they’re winning finally…. It’s bittersweet. Special teams will make or break us eventually.
        And I agree with you that we take way too many penalties still. Dumb penalties, too.
        They have always played undisciplined hockey. That’s some I hope Berube can fix… And fast

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I know that was hard for you to say, hockey412. Lol. Im proud of you!
        Hockey412…. I’ve been trying to figure out which team you’re a fan of. Who is your team?

15. muckleflugga - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM

red fisher, special to the gazette:

Years later, assistant coach John Ferguson admitted: “I called Clarke over to the bench, looked over at Kharlamov and said: ‘I think he needs a tap on the ankle.’ I didn’t think twice about it. It was Us vs. Them. And Kharlamov was killing us. I mean, somebody had to do it, and I sure wasn’t going to ask Henderson.”

On his part, Clarke always has insisted he doesn’t recall Ferguson telling him this, but added: “If I hadn’t learned to lay on a two-hander once in a while, I’d never have left Flin Flon.”

On the 30th anniversary of this once-in-a-lifetime series, Henderson was to describe Clarke’s slash on Kharlamov as “the low point of the series.”

“If Clarke hits him with a bodycheck and knocks him out, that’s fair and square,” Henderson said. “To go out and deliberately try to take somebody out, there’s no sportsmanship in that. To me, it’s the same as shooting a guy in the hallway. Clarke was probably the only guy on the whole team that would have done it.

“We had a lot of tough guys on that team, but there weren’t many guys who played hockey that way,” Henderson added. “We had guys who would stand up and look you right in the eye, punch you in the nose if you had a fight, but I don’t think they would bushwhack.

“It’s not something I would subscribe to. That’s not sportsmanship. Hockey is meant to be a tough game, and it’s a physical game, but to go out and deliberately try to take a guy out, I don’t think there’s any place in hockey for that.”

16. muckleflugga - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM

pravda claimed the flyers played like animals…

literal translation of pravda…

the truth

17. theanswer0381 - Nov 22, 2013 at 3:42 AM

i love the Flyers and am thrilled to see them playing better hockey but that dude wasnt even trolling. He chuckled bc it says theyre surging right before stating they beat the worse team in hockey. lighten up bro, your making the rest of us flyers fans look like over sensitive assholes

18. csilojohnson - Nov 22, 2013 at 5:53 AM

wow so sensitive.

19. zta7991 - Nov 22, 2013 at 6:00 AM

to answer mcphilthy…I think the flyers are in a good place right now and are playing with confidence….but I have concerns with our cap space…this off-season we have a few key resignings to do (brayden schenn and steve mason top that list) and even if the cap goes up idk how we are going to be able to keep them when we already are right underneath the cap ceiling….I would hate to see schenn go but at the same time Holmgren and snider need to decide if they can afford to keep him next year and if they can’t they need to trade him so we at least get something in return for him instead of letting him walk. Also to the ones commenting on hiw bobby clarke played, we know how he played…we get it…he is hated by most…broad street bullies where always a very polar team…you either loved them or hated them…so we get it he broke a guys ankle…but he even says in an interview with rob zombie, for the broad street bully movie he is doing, Clarke “don’t make me out to be a nice guy, because I am not” next thing we will see is people saying that hextall was a monster for jumping chelios in game 6 back in the 80’s

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM

It’s always a numbers game with the flyers. But think about it. We are losing timonen and Mez. That’s 10m in cap space right there not including the bump in cap space that’s expected anyway. Schenn won’t get too big of a raise unless he starts lighting it up like crazy. Mason will stay here and I expect a 2.5-3m cap hit for him. We will have the cap space to keep them both I think

20. wingslax35 - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Hopefully when our San Jose fan wakes up, he will have learned how to spell Sabres.

21. jhaegs - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Wowzers! I thought CHI fans were sensitive about their team…

• ibieiniid - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Idk, I’ve been takin shots at CHI fans on here recently, they haven’t really responded. but the same Penguins fans on this post flip out if you say something about their team.

• stepanup - Nov 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM

CHI fans must just be secure enough to not worry about it.

22. everyonesuksbutme - Nov 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Let’s not forget that the Flyers have what I believe is the 3rd most Stanley Cup appearances (8 – 2 wins) since 1967. Only Montreal and the Bruins have more.

23. whammy71 - Nov 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Cryers win a few vs some suspect teams and the mighty Penguins….now all the Filthy dbags are squawking, sticking out their chest and acting like the a-holes they truly are.

Never saw that coming!

24. zta7991 - Nov 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM

hahaha the mighty pens…that’s a joke

• whammy71 - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM

whose leading the division again? I forget?

• blackandorangeforlife - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Leading a division where not one team including your “Mighty Pens” would be in a playoff spot in the West…..Nobody in this division is mighty!

25. zta7991 - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

the pens may be leading the division (for now) but who has consistently dominated the rivalry? I forget

• bigrboland - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Living in the past I see. 1975. Does that year sound familiar to you?

• coopjr - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM

first shift

26. antmel30 - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Whammy your hilarious saying flyers suck for beating bum teams but calling pens mighty for leading worst division in nhl. Pens wouldn’t even be a wild card right now in west.but they do lead a division with only two above 500 teams. Great point.

27. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM

It’s good to see I am not the only one that thinks these Flyers fans are sensitive.

As for not taking “Callie” teams seriously. I don’t know what Callie is. If you meant Cali teams, that makes more sense.

I spelt Sabres wrong because my phone auto corrects it to Sabers. Did not care much to fight my phone over fixing it.

Let us all hope for good PHT articles today! You all have a great day and see you in future articles. :)

• mcphillthy - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Sorry for jumping on you last night, Googles….

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I’m not. sharks is a doorknob.

• jhaegs - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

You just used the British-English word “spelt”. The American-English word is “spelled”… ;)

28. blackandorangeforlife - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Who cares what anyone thinks….Flyers are rolling and picking up points and that is all they can do…..Yes they have played some weak teams but they didnt make their own schedule……..Which by the way the NHL was very very gracious to the Pens again this season……How is it they make the Conference Finals yet get one of the easiest schedules in the entire NHL?…

• bigrboland - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Over an 82 game season, how can you say a team has a difficult or easy schedule??? What a maroon!

• blackandorangeforlife - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Dude do you have a clue?….You dont think there is a difference between playing 4 easy games on the road vs 6-8 games?…..the Pens longest road trip is 5 games and next is 4…..Flyers play 6 strait twice…as do the Caps…..How about the Ducks insane road trip this season with 8 strait..Those are just 3 teams i can think of…Do you have a clue what travel is like?…….Over an 82 game season long road trips will kill you physically!

• bigrboland - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Are you serious??? You’re gonna cry over 1 or 2 additional games??? Stop making excuses. C’mon man! The travel isn’t as bad as it was before realignment. You’re aware that happened right?

• bigrboland - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

And you’ve misspelled the same word twice. It’s “s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t”. Something Giroux isn’t.

29. sjsharks66 - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Jhags, good eye mate. ;)

Mcphilty, it’s all good dude. All in good fun!

• jhaegs - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

In ‘Murica, spelt is a type of grain. Lol

30. jhaegs - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Really? Because if I mention ANYTHING about their team they jump down my throat. Hell, I basically said Crawford was a good goalie that had a bad night (after the Nashville game), and they swarmed me. Eggshells with the Hawks fans… eggshells.

31. flyerfan2083 - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Flyers have really picked up their play as of late and are finally headed in the right direction. It’s nice to see after their abysmal start they had. The goaltending tandem of Mason and Emery have been fantastic and held them in almost every game. Had they found their offensive game earlier the team would be right there atop the metro division. Nobody talks much about the flyers goaltenders right now, but that’s ok. Let them fly under the radar and continue to put up very solid numbers. If Mason can sustain his play ( I’m expecting a few bumps in the road here and there though), he could seriously be a contender for a Vezina trophy. It would be nice to get a little more goal production from the top line, but Giroux has quietly been putting up points. They need to work on the pp a bit though, as I’m certainly not too crazy about the constant drop pass to Giroux as last man back to enter the zone. That play will eventually be shut down and turned into sh chances for the opposition. The pk has dipped a bit as well as of late, but given a little time to work and make a few adjustments, it will be ok. The main thing to do to help out, is stop with the boneheaded penalties in the offensive zone. All in all, I’m pleased with the job Berube has done with the team thus far, and if he can get them to continue with solid efforts and compete each game, they will no doubt have a very solid year. Could be back in a playoff spot by US thanksgiving, something which I wasn’t sure was possibly with their play early on

32. kastout11 - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

They’re finally playing like we thought they would play when they signed Lecavlier and Streit. I turned off a Flyers game a few weeks ago because I was disgusted with their play. I enjoyed watching them last night. Although the first period was pretty sloppy, but after that they looked great. They were quick and peppered Miller with shots. When they play like that and their goalies are keeping pucks out of the net, they will be a threat in the Eastern Conference. After they hopefully beat the Isles on Saturday, they will hit the road and play better competion, then we can get a better feel on how good they really are, even though the Pens game should have shed some light on their potential.

• bigrboland - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM

C’mon, the Flyers got lucky against the Pens. Pens dominated them. Did you turn that game off too???

• blackandorangeforlife - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Can you really say they dominated them when their only goal was on the PP?…..Pens had 5 PP’s and only 1 goal from a PP unit that has Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz Jokinen and Letang…….Pens only had 10 more shots then the Flyers….None of any quality!…..I’m sure Emery is thanking the Pens for padding his Sv% in that game .968!

• kastout11 - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Dominated, really. you must have watched a different game than I did.

• bigrboland - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

No I didn’t. Same game. Go back and watch what you missed. Take off the orange colored glasses.

33. jhaegs - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM

It’s great that the fans are getting excited, but the Flyers have really only beat ONE “winning” team in the Penguins. I would just temper your emotions until you see them play TB, DET, and CHI in the coming weeks. We’ll all get a better idea of where the Flyers stand.

34. theoneandonlykill - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Where am I?

When did MSNBC allow a hockey fan forum again?

35. mp1131211 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Surging…. As in finally reached 20 points

36. kastout11 - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Pens fans really irritate me. Your team is not that good. I am not sure about you, but I watched them get swept by Boston last year in the playoffs. If they were as good as you guys think, you would expect them to win at least one of those games. The year before that they were beaten by an “INFERIOR” Flyers team. Also this just in, they have the same goalie this year as they had the last 2 years. Just hit Malkin a few times to take him out of his game. When he gets hit, he makes a ton of mistakes trying to do too much, and he turns the puck over a ton. I will give you that Crosby is tough, although he is a crybaby, still the best in the world.

• bigrboland - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

What were you doing that series? I know what you weren’t doing….watching the Flyers. Or maybe you brought out the dust covered Betamax and watched the 1975 Finals. And enough with the crybaby crap. That was what, when he was freakin 18 years old.

• blackandorangeforlife - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Why makes you Pens fans think 1975 bother Flyers fans?….There are how many team that have not won a Cup……It took LA how long to win one?……You act like the Pens are the best their are….Yet the Blackhawks have won two in 4 seasons.Bruins have made the Finals twice…..What have the Pens won?……The 2009 Asterisk?…..With that roster there is no excuse why they cannot win the “Big” game….Yet they cant do it….Why?

• broadstreetbeatdown - Nov 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I know what I was doing that series. Watching the B’s beat the ever-loving snot out of the flaccid penguins. 3 total goals during a four game series. That was some dynamo scoring from the best crybaby in the world. Oh look, Bobby Clarke is on Beta…gotta run.

• bigrboland - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM

The Pens won in 2009, yes, that’s correct. And if you want to put an asterisk on it, for whatever stupid reason you can up with up, go for it. The record book has no asterisk. They also won two in two years in the early nineties. Did you forget about those Cups? Or have you only been following hockey for last 5 years or so???

And yes, if you want to see a good Flyers team, you’ll need to go back to the Bobby Clarke days. That’s just sad. I almost feel bad for you Flyers fans….but I don’t. I laugh at you. HaHaHaHaHa!

Flyers have many concerns