Nov 21, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
Just another win for the Philadelphia Flyers.
After that slow start to the season, the Flyers have victories in five of their last six games, the latest coming Thursday as they forged a 4-1 win over the Buffalo Sabres.
Read scored twice within a span of one minute and 40 seconds, while Downie and Couturier each added a pair of assists.
The night started off so well for the Sabres. Tyler Myers, Buffalo’s towering defenseman who is trying to rediscover the excellent form he had during his rookie season, scored his second goal of the season to give the Sabres a lead after the opening period.
But the Flyers took over form there. Read’s goals were just the beginning. Vincent Lecavalier essentially put this game away in the third period, blasting home a power play goal to put Philadelphia up two goals.
Scott Hartnell scored into an empty net with 11 seconds remaining. Done.
“We have to play a certain way, and if we don’t play that certain way, you just can’t play,” said Sabres’ interim head coach Ted Nolan, as per the team’s Twitter account.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (74)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)