Nov 21, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
Just another win for the Philadelphia Flyers.
After that slow start to the season, the Flyers have victories in five of their last six games, the latest coming Thursday as they forged a 4-1 win over the Buffalo Sabres.
Read scored twice within a span of one minute and 40 seconds, while Downie and Couturier each added a pair of assists.
The night started off so well for the Sabres. Tyler Myers, Buffalo’s towering defenseman who is trying to rediscover the excellent form he had during his rookie season, scored his second goal of the season to give the Sabres a lead after the opening period.
But the Flyers took over form there. Read’s goals were just the beginning. Vincent Lecavalier essentially put this game away in the third period, blasting home a power play goal to put Philadelphia up two goals.
Scott Hartnell scored into an empty net with 11 seconds remaining. Done.
“We have to play a certain way, and if we don’t play that certain way, you just can’t play,” said Sabres’ interim head coach Ted Nolan, as per the team’s Twitter account.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)