Nov 21, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have won four of their last five games. Tonight, they’ll be favored to win again when they host the last-place Sabres. And that’s exactly why head coach Craig Berube is wary.
“We’re not in a playoff spot, are we?” Berube said, per CSN Philly. “We can’t overlook anybody. I’ve said that before. You don’t overlook any team in the NHL anymore. Every game’s tough. Every single game.”
The Flyers need only look to what happened Tuesday in Vancouver, when the Canucks admittedly took the Florida Panthers too lightly and ended up losing, 3-2, in a shootout.
That performance led to coach John Tortorella ripping his team for doing exactly what Berube hopes his squad doesn’t do tonight.
“It’s lack of respect and we have no business to show a lack of respect to any hockey team,” said Tortorella. “In the situation we’re in going into tonight’s game, I just don’t know what we’re thinking as far as how we started the game.”
Speaking of starting the game, Berube has been stressing the importance of that for the Flyers.
“The start of games are huge,” Berube said. “Set the tone, forechecking, get your skating going, get on the forecheck, be physical. Doing things properly early in games. Getting the crowd into it. It’s all important. Same as the end of the games – start and finish are really important.”
After beginning the season 4-10-1, Philadelphia has climbed to within three points of a playoff spot in the Metropolitan Division. The Flyers also have at least a game in hand on every other team in the division.
“We’ve come a long way from where we were at the beginning of the year,” d-man Braydon Coburn said. “But we have a long way to go.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)