Nov 21, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
He may be a long shot, but Nashville Predators defenseman Seth Jones is at least in the discussion for the U.S. Olympic men’s hockey team.
That’s according to Predators’ general manager David Poile, who holds the same position with the U.S. Olympic team for the 2014 Sochi Games.
“We still have decisions to make at every position but we’re certainly zoning in on what I would call our ghost roster or what have you, and players like Seth are clearly in the mix,” Poile recently told NHL.com.
“His potential is as high, if not higher, than anybody we have on our team. He is the youngest player, one of the youngest players we’ve talked about, so from that standpoint he lacks experience. So for him it’s critical in the month of December.
“If he’s one of the best USA defensemen in the month of December he’s got a real good chance.”
Jones, who turned only 19 years of age in October, scored his third goal of his rookie season on Thursday, as the Predators down the Toronto Maple Leafs by a final score of 4-2.
With the Predators on the power play, Jones ripped a slap shot that was deflected off a Toronto player in front of the net and past Jonathan Bernier.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)