Nov 21, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
He may be a long shot, but Nashville Predators defenseman Seth Jones is at least in the discussion for the U.S. Olympic men’s hockey team.
That’s according to Predators’ general manager David Poile, who holds the same position with the U.S. Olympic team for the 2014 Sochi Games.
“We still have decisions to make at every position but we’re certainly zoning in on what I would call our ghost roster or what have you, and players like Seth are clearly in the mix,” Poile recently told NHL.com.
“His potential is as high, if not higher, than anybody we have on our team. He is the youngest player, one of the youngest players we’ve talked about, so from that standpoint he lacks experience. So for him it’s critical in the month of December.
“If he’s one of the best USA defensemen in the month of December he’s got a real good chance.”
Jones, who turned only 19 years of age in October, scored his third goal of his rookie season on Thursday, as the Predators down the Toronto Maple Leafs by a final score of 4-2.
With the Predators on the power play, Jones ripped a slap shot that was deflected off a Toronto player in front of the net and past Jonathan Bernier.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)