Nov 21, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
He may be a long shot, but Nashville Predators defenseman Seth Jones is at least in the discussion for the U.S. Olympic men’s hockey team.
That’s according to Predators’ general manager David Poile, who holds the same position with the U.S. Olympic team for the 2014 Sochi Games.
“We still have decisions to make at every position but we’re certainly zoning in on what I would call our ghost roster or what have you, and players like Seth are clearly in the mix,” Poile recently told NHL.com.
“His potential is as high, if not higher, than anybody we have on our team. He is the youngest player, one of the youngest players we’ve talked about, so from that standpoint he lacks experience. So for him it’s critical in the month of December.
“If he’s one of the best USA defensemen in the month of December he’s got a real good chance.”
Jones, who turned only 19 years of age in October, scored his third goal of his rookie season on Thursday, as the Predators down the Toronto Maple Leafs by a final score of 4-2.
With the Predators on the power play, Jones ripped a slap shot that was deflected off a Toronto player in front of the net and past Jonathan Bernier.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)