Nov 21, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
He may be a long shot, but Nashville Predators defenseman Seth Jones is at least in the discussion for the U.S. Olympic men’s hockey team.
That’s according to Predators’ general manager David Poile, who holds the same position with the U.S. Olympic team for the 2014 Sochi Games.
“We still have decisions to make at every position but we’re certainly zoning in on what I would call our ghost roster or what have you, and players like Seth are clearly in the mix,” Poile recently told NHL.com.
“His potential is as high, if not higher, than anybody we have on our team. He is the youngest player, one of the youngest players we’ve talked about, so from that standpoint he lacks experience. So for him it’s critical in the month of December.
“If he’s one of the best USA defensemen in the month of December he’s got a real good chance.”
Jones, who turned only 19 years of age in October, scored his third goal of his rookie season on Thursday, as the Predators down the Toronto Maple Leafs by a final score of 4-2.
With the Predators on the power play, Jones ripped a slap shot that was deflected off a Toronto player in front of the net and past Jonathan Bernier.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)