Nov 21, 2013, 7:20 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers host the Florida Panthers tonight at Rexall, which means a reunion of former Coyotes teammates Ilya Bryzgalov and Scottie Upshall.
It doesn’t sound like the reunion will be all that friendly, though.
On Thursday, Upshall aired criticisms of Bryzgalov from the three seasons they spent together in Phoenix, acknowledging that — while a very talented goalie — Bryzgalov wasn’t an ideal teammate.
“There were a couple of incidents where he wasn’t happy with the way our team played in front of him and he did a few things that caused us to say something to him and put him in his place,” Upshall told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “[He called us out] in not a very professional way.
“We had to take care of him because it wasn’t always about him. It was about the team.”
While Upshall said Bryzgalov was “unbelievable” in Phoenix and “a helluva goalie,” especially during his Vezina-nominated 2009-10 campaign, he suggested the Russian netminder greatly benefited from Phoenix’s defensive system and that, heading into his contract year, Bryzgalov’s main motivation wasn’t just wins and team success.
“There’s no question he probably played a little harder knowing that he was coming into free agency,” Upshall explained (Bryzgalov went on to sign a nine-year, $51 million deal with Philly). “Right now he’s in a spot where he has to prove himself again.”
As for tonight? Upshall says his time playing with and against Bryzgalov will help in figuring him out.
“He doesn’t like traffic, he doesn’t like guys in his face,” Upshall explained. “If you get under his skin he gets off his game.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)