Nov 21, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Mikhail Grigorenko‘s up-and-down week is going back up.
Grigorenko, who earlier this week had his AHL conditioning assignment rejected by the NHL, will be back in the Sabres’ lineup tonight to take on the Flyers in Philadelphia.
The 19-year-old Russian, in and out of the Buffalo lineup this season, looked to be Rochester bound on Tuesday as the Sabres sent him — along with Rasmus Ristolainen and Johan Larsson — to the Amerks. The catch with Grigorenko, though, was that he couldn’t play in the American League due to the CHL-AHL agreement (CHL prospects must remain in major junior until they are 20, or have played four full seasons before playing in the American League.)
Because Grigorenko was drafted out of QMJHL Quebec — opposed to Ristolainen (TPS, Finland) and Larsson (Brynas, Sweden) — the only way he could be AHL-eligible was through a conditioning assignment, so Buffalo tried to slide him through on the grounds of “general body soreness,” which the NHL wasn’t buying.
So, Grigo was forced back to Buffalo…and right back into the lineup.
He’ll play tonight for the first time in three games, looking to build upon the three points he scored in his last four contests (including a pair of goals against Anaheim on Nov. 8.)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 8
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)