Nov 21, 2013, 12:36 PM EST
Mikhail Grigorenko‘s up-and-down week is going back up.
Grigorenko, who earlier this week had his AHL conditioning assignment rejected by the NHL, will be back in the Sabres’ lineup tonight to take on the Flyers in Philadelphia.
The 19-year-old Russian, in and out of the Buffalo lineup this season, looked to be Rochester bound on Tuesday as the Sabres sent him — along with Rasmus Ristolainen and Johan Larsson — to the Amerks. The catch with Grigorenko, though, was that he couldn’t play in the American League due to the CHL-AHL agreement (CHL prospects must remain in major junior until they are 20, or have played four full seasons before playing in the American League.)
Because Grigorenko was drafted out of QMJHL Quebec — opposed to Ristolainen (TPS, Finland) and Larsson (Brynas, Sweden) — the only way he could be AHL-eligible was through a conditioning assignment, so Buffalo tried to slide him through on the grounds of “general body soreness,” which the NHL wasn’t buying.
So, Grigo was forced back to Buffalo…and right back into the lineup.
He’ll play tonight for the first time in three games, looking to build upon the three points he scored in his last four contests (including a pair of goals against Anaheim on Nov. 8.)
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)