Nov 21, 2013, 6:14 PM EDT
Brent Burns is back.
Burns, the defenseman-turned-forward, will likely play for the first time in 13 games tonight as the Sharks host Tampa Bay in San Jose.
“He’s going to come off of [injured reserve], so there’s a real good chance that he will play,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “We’ll see how he is when he comes to the rink, but he’s telling me now that he’s ready.
“He looks ready, and right now he is.”
Burns’ return to the lineup should be a huge boost for the Sharks. He had eight points in eight games prior to getting hurt and was a dynamic presence on a line with Joe Thornton and rookie Tomas Hertl, providing exceptional skating given his size (6-foot-5, 220 pounds) and ability to punish defensemen on the forecheck.
“He just adds so much for the forwards up front,” Thornton said of Burns. “He’s a big body that moves very well, gets in on the forecheck real well, [and] makes our lineup that much better.”
The Sharks are coming off an extended layoff — they haven’t played since Sunday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago — and should be very well-rested for a Lightning team that’s lost two straight to start its four-game Western road swing, dropping games in Phoenix and Los Angeles.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)