Nov 21, 2013, 6:14 PM EDT
Brent Burns is back.
Burns, the defenseman-turned-forward, will likely play for the first time in 13 games tonight as the Sharks host Tampa Bay in San Jose.
“He’s going to come off of [injured reserve], so there’s a real good chance that he will play,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “We’ll see how he is when he comes to the rink, but he’s telling me now that he’s ready.
“He looks ready, and right now he is.”
Burns’ return to the lineup should be a huge boost for the Sharks. He had eight points in eight games prior to getting hurt and was a dynamic presence on a line with Joe Thornton and rookie Tomas Hertl, providing exceptional skating given his size (6-foot-5, 220 pounds) and ability to punish defensemen on the forecheck.
“He just adds so much for the forwards up front,” Thornton said of Burns. “He’s a big body that moves very well, gets in on the forecheck real well, [and] makes our lineup that much better.”
The Sharks are coming off an extended layoff — they haven’t played since Sunday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago — and should be very well-rested for a Lightning team that’s lost two straight to start its four-game Western road swing, dropping games in Phoenix and Los Angeles.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)