Nov 20, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
A lot has changed since Tim Thomas and Roberto Luongo faced off in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, but it seems like a few things stay the same. Luongo keeps joking and Thomas keeps winning … at least against each other, that is.
Thomas’ Florida Panthers nabbed a 3-2 shootout win against Luongo’s Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday.
Thomas, 39, stopped 27 out of 29 shots while Luongo, 34, was plenty impressive in defeat, making 34 out of 36 saves.
It’s probably excessive to say that Thomas gets the last laugh. After all, he’s 4-6-0 and will probably stay home during the 2014 Winter Olympics while Luongo may very well start for Canada in Sochi and plays for a generally competitive (if frustrated) Canucks team.
Still, for one more night, Thomas edged Luongo … even if it wasn’t exactly like “old times.”
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28