Nov 20, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators dropped their third straight game, and rubbing salt in the wound of Ottawa fans was its nemesis Dany Heatley was an integral part in this latest defeat.
Heatley scored in the second period and added an assist for a two-point night, helping the visiting Minnesota Wild defeat the Senators 4-3. A goal from Mikko Koivu with less than three minutes remaining in regulation broke a tied hockey game.
Koivu, unabated, was allowed to walk in off the right wing into the middle of the ice and let go a wrist shot that beat Craig Anderson, who allowed four goals on 25 shots.
“Well it’s disappointing. We got the game tied up again, but again, we’re chasing the game,” said Senators head coach Paul MacLean, as per the team’s website.
“Anytime you’re chasing the game it makes it hard, but on the positive side we look at the stat sheet and the balance is starting to go the other way, so that’s a positive for us.”
The Senators have now lost four of their last five games, and sit sixth out of eight teams in the Atlantic Division. They’re four points back of the Montreal Canadiens and only four points ahead of the Florida Panthers.
MacLean, however, remains positive. Kind of.
“Are we going in the right direction? We think so, but we won’t know until our next game,” he said.
That’s Saturday, on the road, against the Detroit Red Wings.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)