Nov 20, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators dropped their third straight game, and rubbing salt in the wound of Ottawa fans was its nemesis Dany Heatley was an integral part in this latest defeat.
Heatley scored in the second period and added an assist for a two-point night, helping the visiting Minnesota Wild defeat the Senators 4-3. A goal from Mikko Koivu with less than three minutes remaining in regulation broke a tied hockey game.
Koivu, unabated, was allowed to walk in off the right wing into the middle of the ice and let go a wrist shot that beat Craig Anderson, who allowed four goals on 25 shots.
“Well it’s disappointing. We got the game tied up again, but again, we’re chasing the game,” said Senators head coach Paul MacLean, as per the team’s website.
“Anytime you’re chasing the game it makes it hard, but on the positive side we look at the stat sheet and the balance is starting to go the other way, so that’s a positive for us.”
The Senators have now lost four of their last five games, and sit sixth out of eight teams in the Atlantic Division. They’re four points back of the Montreal Canadiens and only four points ahead of the Florida Panthers.
MacLean, however, remains positive. Kind of.
“Are we going in the right direction? We think so, but we won’t know until our next game,” he said.
That’s Saturday, on the road, against the Detroit Red Wings.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 11
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)