Nov 20, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
From TSN’s Darren Dreger:
NHL Hockey Operations is expected to meet with a group in the near future that has designed a camera system that can be installed in the posts of the nets. This system may provide a more clear view of the goal line and by design may assist the league in determining – conclusively – whether or not the puck crosses the line.
This meeting was planned well before Tuesday night’s game between the Philadelphia Flyers and Ottawa Senators where midway through the third period, it appeared Ottawa’s Kyle Turris had given his team a 3-2 edge. Turris’ shot ricocheted off both of Nicklas Grossmann‘s skates and from the camera angles provided, it seemingly crossed the goal line.
Veteran referee Paul Devorski immediately waved off the goal and a lengthy video review was unable to warrant overturning the call on the ice.
Here’s the play in question:
Dreger reports that the NHL has considered, or experimented with, all sorts of goal-line technology, but for a variety of reasons, including cost, nothing new has been adopted.
Would a camera system in the posts help? It might, occasionally. Though we can’t imagine it would be cheap to install. And we’re sure there would still be controversial plays that lack conclusive video evidence. But hey, the fewer of those the better.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)