Nov 20, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
From TSN’s Darren Dreger:
NHL Hockey Operations is expected to meet with a group in the near future that has designed a camera system that can be installed in the posts of the nets. This system may provide a more clear view of the goal line and by design may assist the league in determining – conclusively – whether or not the puck crosses the line.
This meeting was planned well before Tuesday night’s game between the Philadelphia Flyers and Ottawa Senators where midway through the third period, it appeared Ottawa’s Kyle Turris had given his team a 3-2 edge. Turris’ shot ricocheted off both of Nicklas Grossmann‘s skates and from the camera angles provided, it seemingly crossed the goal line.
Veteran referee Paul Devorski immediately waved off the goal and a lengthy video review was unable to warrant overturning the call on the ice.
Here’s the play in question:
Dreger reports that the NHL has considered, or experimented with, all sorts of goal-line technology, but for a variety of reasons, including cost, nothing new has been adopted.
Would a camera system in the posts help? It might, occasionally. Though we can’t imagine it would be cheap to install. And we’re sure there would still be controversial plays that lack conclusive video evidence. But hey, the fewer of those the better.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)