Nov 20, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
From TSN’s Darren Dreger:
NHL Hockey Operations is expected to meet with a group in the near future that has designed a camera system that can be installed in the posts of the nets. This system may provide a more clear view of the goal line and by design may assist the league in determining – conclusively – whether or not the puck crosses the line.
This meeting was planned well before Tuesday night’s game between the Philadelphia Flyers and Ottawa Senators where midway through the third period, it appeared Ottawa’s Kyle Turris had given his team a 3-2 edge. Turris’ shot ricocheted off both of Nicklas Grossmann‘s skates and from the camera angles provided, it seemingly crossed the goal line.
Veteran referee Paul Devorski immediately waved off the goal and a lengthy video review was unable to warrant overturning the call on the ice.
Here’s the play in question:
Dreger reports that the NHL has considered, or experimented with, all sorts of goal-line technology, but for a variety of reasons, including cost, nothing new has been adopted.
Would a camera system in the posts help? It might, occasionally. Though we can’t imagine it would be cheap to install. And we’re sure there would still be controversial plays that lack conclusive video evidence. But hey, the fewer of those the better.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)