Nov 20, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick’s Grade 2 groin strain will reportedly keep him out until Christmas.
On Wednesday, Kings GM Dean Lombardi delivered the news to Sportsnet’s Fan 590, saying that his starting netminder will miss at least another month after injuring himself in a 3-2 shootout loss to Buffalo on Nov. 12.
According to the Sports Injury Clinic, a Grade 2 strain is a “moderate” tear that can vary in severity — anywhere from 10 to 90 percent — which explains the difficulty in trying to pinpoint rehab time. The LA Times reported Quick wouldn’t require surgery and suggested “the best early estimate, with an emphasis on the word estimate, would be in the neighborhood of four to six weeks,” regarding a return to action.
It appears the six week estimate was accurate.
If there’s a positive here, it’s that Quick doesn’t have a history of groin issues, like many other NHL goalies. The 27-year-old has actually been remarkably healthy throughout his NHL career, appearing in 72 games during the 2009-10 season and 69 during the Cup-winning ’11-12 campaign.
The other positive? The play of backup Ben Scrivens, the NHL’s reigning first star of the week. Scrivens is 5-1-1 this season with a 1.35 GAA and .949 save percentage and has more than capably filled in for Quick — who, as Brough wrote last week, wasn’t exactly lighting it up prior to getting hurt:
Here’s the thing: Quick hasn’t even been that good this season. His .905 save percentage is right down the near bottom of the regular-starters list. You could even argue the Kings had been winning in spite of the 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy recipient.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)