Nov 20, 2013, 1:02 PM EST
Jonathan Quick’s Grade 2 groin strain will reportedly keep him out until Christmas.
On Wednesday, Kings GM Dean Lombardi delivered the news to Sportsnet’s Fan 590, saying that his starting netminder will miss at least another month after injuring himself in a 3-2 shootout loss to Buffalo on Nov. 12.
According to the Sports Injury Clinic, a Grade 2 strain is a “moderate” tear that can vary in severity — anywhere from 10 to 90 percent — which explains the difficulty in trying to pinpoint rehab time. The LA Times reported Quick wouldn’t require surgery and suggested “the best early estimate, with an emphasis on the word estimate, would be in the neighborhood of four to six weeks,” regarding a return to action.
It appears the six week estimate was accurate.
If there’s a positive here, it’s that Quick doesn’t have a history of groin issues, like many other NHL goalies. The 27-year-old has actually been remarkably healthy throughout his NHL career, appearing in 72 games during the 2009-10 season and 69 during the Cup-winning ’11-12 campaign.
The other positive? The play of backup Ben Scrivens, the NHL’s reigning first star of the week. Scrivens is 5-1-1 this season with a 1.35 GAA and .949 save percentage and has more than capably filled in for Quick — who, as Brough wrote last week, wasn’t exactly lighting it up prior to getting hurt:
Here’s the thing: Quick hasn’t even been that good this season. His .905 save percentage is right down the near bottom of the regular-starters list. You could even argue the Kings had been winning in spite of the 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy recipient.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 23
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)