Nov 20, 2013, 4:56 PM EDT
And whatever you do, don’t worry what people are saying.
Malkin, who scored 50 goals for Pittsburgh in 2011-12, is currently mired in a much-talked-about, 14-game goal drought. His Penguins are in Washington to play Ovechkin’s Capitals tonight (on NBCSN).
“When you [don’t] score goals, when you [don’t] make assists, when your name is [not] on the score [sheet], of course, everybody think like you’re bad,” Ovechkin said, per CSN Washington. “But sometimes you don’t have a great game but you get a point and everybody think you play well.
“Of course, it matters [what people think]. When I was a little kid, my first couple years, I know nobody here. I just read the front pages and the news and I was crazy about it.
“But right now, to be honest with you, I don’t care what the people say, what the media say. Of course, I read this kind of stuff, but most of the time I read it and forget it in a couple seconds.”
To be fair to Malkin, it’s not like his name is completely invisible on the scoresheet. He does have 12 assists in the 14 games he’s failed to put a puck in the net, and his 17 assists on the season rank fourth overall in the NHL, behind only Joe Thornton (20), Nicklas Backstrom (19), and Henrik Sedin (18). That’s not bad company right there.
But Malkin is more than a passer, and it needs to be noted he’s only registered 14 shots in his last eight games combined.
Or maybe it doesn’t need to be noted?
“He just have to relax and forget about it,” said Ovechkin.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)