Nov 20, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers’ struggles gets plenty of attention, but they aren’t the only team facing hard times. Tuesday highlighted that, as the Oilers embarrassed the Columbus Blue Jackets by a score of 7-0.
Defenseman Jack Johnson might not have been the angriest after the game, but his comments to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline may rank as the most memorable (and, in this case, most censored).
“That was a [blank] show,” Johnson said. “An absolute [blank] game. The only good thing right now is we get a chance to play tomorrow.”
Nick Foligno‘s language was a little cleaner, merely calling the defeat “disgusting.” Head coach Todd Richards had a slightly more sophisticated take on the humiliating loss.
““We were just playing to run the clock out,” Richards said. “To me, as a coach, you watch certain things and certain players, to see how they are going to respond in tough situations … we had guys who just wanted to get the game over with, which I’m really disappointed with.”
With just 14 shots on goal despite a serious drubbing, it’s tough to argue with Richards’ take.
It’s also difficult to deny the notion that Columbus might be one of the worst teams in the NHL. They’ve now gone just 2-6-3 in their last 11 games, while Sergei Bobrovsky‘s been far from a Vezina-caliber performer.
The Oilers draw far more rumors because of the breathless coverage that follows them, but considering the circumstances, maybe the Blue Jackets are just as much in need of bold changes.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)