Nov 20, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers’ struggles gets plenty of attention, but they aren’t the only team facing hard times. Tuesday highlighted that, as the Oilers embarrassed the Columbus Blue Jackets by a score of 7-0.
Defenseman Jack Johnson might not have been the angriest after the game, but his comments to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline may rank as the most memorable (and, in this case, most censored).
“That was a [blank] show,” Johnson said. “An absolute [blank] game. The only good thing right now is we get a chance to play tomorrow.”
Nick Foligno‘s language was a little cleaner, merely calling the defeat “disgusting.” Head coach Todd Richards had a slightly more sophisticated take on the humiliating loss.
““We were just playing to run the clock out,” Richards said. “To me, as a coach, you watch certain things and certain players, to see how they are going to respond in tough situations … we had guys who just wanted to get the game over with, which I’m really disappointed with.”
With just 14 shots on goal despite a serious drubbing, it’s tough to argue with Richards’ take.
It’s also difficult to deny the notion that Columbus might be one of the worst teams in the NHL. They’ve now gone just 2-6-3 in their last 11 games, while Sergei Bobrovsky‘s been far from a Vezina-caliber performer.
The Oilers draw far more rumors because of the breathless coverage that follows them, but considering the circumstances, maybe the Blue Jackets are just as much in need of bold changes.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32