Nov 20, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers’ struggles gets plenty of attention, but they aren’t the only team facing hard times. Tuesday highlighted that, as the Oilers embarrassed the Columbus Blue Jackets by a score of 7-0.
Defenseman Jack Johnson might not have been the angriest after the game, but his comments to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline may rank as the most memorable (and, in this case, most censored).
“That was a [blank] show,” Johnson said. “An absolute [blank] game. The only good thing right now is we get a chance to play tomorrow.”
Nick Foligno‘s language was a little cleaner, merely calling the defeat “disgusting.” Head coach Todd Richards had a slightly more sophisticated take on the humiliating loss.
““We were just playing to run the clock out,” Richards said. “To me, as a coach, you watch certain things and certain players, to see how they are going to respond in tough situations … we had guys who just wanted to get the game over with, which I’m really disappointed with.”
With just 14 shots on goal despite a serious drubbing, it’s tough to argue with Richards’ take.
It’s also difficult to deny the notion that Columbus might be one of the worst teams in the NHL. They’ve now gone just 2-6-3 in their last 11 games, while Sergei Bobrovsky‘s been far from a Vezina-caliber performer.
The Oilers draw far more rumors because of the breathless coverage that follows them, but considering the circumstances, maybe the Blue Jackets are just as much in need of bold changes.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)