Nov 20, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers’ struggles gets plenty of attention, but they aren’t the only team facing hard times. Tuesday highlighted that, as the Oilers embarrassed the Columbus Blue Jackets by a score of 7-0.
Defenseman Jack Johnson might not have been the angriest after the game, but his comments to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline may rank as the most memorable (and, in this case, most censored).
“That was a [blank] show,” Johnson said. “An absolute [blank] game. The only good thing right now is we get a chance to play tomorrow.”
Nick Foligno‘s language was a little cleaner, merely calling the defeat “disgusting.” Head coach Todd Richards had a slightly more sophisticated take on the humiliating loss.
““We were just playing to run the clock out,” Richards said. “To me, as a coach, you watch certain things and certain players, to see how they are going to respond in tough situations … we had guys who just wanted to get the game over with, which I’m really disappointed with.”
With just 14 shots on goal despite a serious drubbing, it’s tough to argue with Richards’ take.
It’s also difficult to deny the notion that Columbus might be one of the worst teams in the NHL. They’ve now gone just 2-6-3 in their last 11 games, while Sergei Bobrovsky‘s been far from a Vezina-caliber performer.
The Oilers draw far more rumors because of the breathless coverage that follows them, but considering the circumstances, maybe the Blue Jackets are just as much in need of bold changes.
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 3
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 15
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10